Hey All, I thought I'd piggyback on this section as It's pretty relevant to my issue
I hope no-one minds!
To cut a long story short, I would like to lose 2-3 stone this year. I am 5"5 and weigh 13 stone which I know is far too heavy (and the doctor's have told me so). I've tried all sorts of diet/exercise plans which have worked for a while but I've soon put the weight back on again.
Basically I know I have to follow the 2 most fundamental rules in losing weight: eat less, move more! But I just wondered what I'm planning to do, if anyone thinks this will be enough?
The "DO'S" I'm planning to adopt are:
- eat 3 square meals a day (and try to cut out snacking)
- eat healthier foods and try and cut out all junk food which includes crisps, sweets, chocolate, cakes, takeaways etc but have the occasional treat
- drink more water
- cut out all alcohol (which is easy as I don't tend to drink that much anyway)
- walk to work and back every day mon-fri (this takes half hour each way so I'd be doing an hour every day - I do this pretty much already as I don't drive) - and on the days I do get a lift I do the equivalent time doing my aerobics DVD at home
- at the end of january incorporate weights to tone my arms and tummy
- eat slowly as my husband says I tend to "wolf my food down" which I do admit, I do!
- use alternative contraception (I've been on the Pill for 10 years now and would like a break to see if this helps with weight loss)
The "DONT'S" I'm planning to adopt are:
- not to set strict goals as to how much I want to lose (as if I start to not hit my target every week I get de-motivated)
- not weigh myself (sounds strange I know, but I'm going more on the feel of my clothes at the moment)
- do not set a strict regime for exercise - I do lots of exercise in the beginning then find 2 weeks in, cant keep up and either injure myself or resent not spending time doing other things!
- do not set a strict regime for what I'm going to eat (I find I'm hungrier some days more than others, and If I plan a light meal when I'm hungry, I tend to feel resentful)
Well that's it for now. If this works, I hope to keep this up for the rest of my life - my dads' side of my family suffer from high cholesterol / blood pressure / type 2 diabetes and I want to try and minimise that risk to myself, plus I want to be healthy as I want to concieve in the next couple of years. So all the best intentions and motives are there...i just hope I'm doing it right.... does anyone else have any other suggestions/recommendations?? Ideally I'd love to lose the majority of the weight by July as we have a big family party and I want to impress everyone hehe!!