Wedding - Men's Suit Hire

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby RagDoll » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick one - does anyone know what the correct etiquette is for hiring the men's suits for a wedding? Does the bride and groom pay for everyone's suits/just the best man's and usher's suits/no ones???

I read somewhere that you're meant to just pay for the best man's and usher's, but my friend who isn't usually the most generous (!) told me they paid for everyones. Both sets of parents have given us money so now I feel a bit guilty if we don't pay for everyones.

Thoughts?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Only the people in the wedding party as I understood it. So best man, ushers and maybe the dads.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Wedding - Men's Suit Hire

Postby Ticktock » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm

The basis of the tradition is to ensure that everyone who is at the front of the ceremony looks respectable and for the more controlling of couples, matches the colour scheme!

Remember it is just one day and you will have plenty of other essential things to spend on rather than suits, if you do decide on everyone then be clear who that covers from the start as the more you do the more likely you will miss someone out and cause offence...

No couple has yet been struck by lightening for not following some of the daft traditions that someone else who isn't paying will trot out.
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Wedding - Men's Suit Hire

Postby RagDoll » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks. Just for clarification, when I say 'everyone' I mean everyone in the immediate wedding party e.g. both Dad's, best man and ushers (and obviously groom, but it's obvious we'd be paying for that).

I think we have decided to just pay for their suit hire since we are asking them to get something specific. It's a bit of a double edged thing because even if we didn't ask them to hire the same suit, both Dad's would have to buy themselves suits anyway (my Dad is retired, so doesn't own one anymore and my finace's Dad is a mechanic so he doesn't have one). However, don't want to be stingy and cause offence.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to And the rest...