I suspect my new neighbour...

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I suspect my new neighbour...

Postby Nonsuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 pm

... has stolen something from my garden. Our garden is separate from the house and is accessible from a small alleyway which serves other houses in our street.

This is the background: A new family moved into our street a couple of months ago. The father has a volatile personality and takes offence easily. I try to stay out of his way as he was rude to me the week they moved in. He took exception to the way I backed my car out and thought I was blocking him in. I wasn't, but he still made a V-sign and shouted.

Since then, his children have made friends with my children and his little boy is always knocking on our door. The kids play outside on their bikes together.

Anyway, we were out on Monday and another child says he saw this man and his son enter our garden and remove one of the seats from our bikes and put it on his own bike, leaving behind the broken down seat from his own bike. When the son protested, his dad told him, "They won't mind - they have plenty". It's true we have quite a few bikes - each child has their own bike - but we are by no means wealthy. I am a single mother.

I think this man feels entitled to steal from us because he once repaired my sons bike - not that we asked him to. He just did it.

I feel really uncomfortable about tackling him as he has a nasty temper. But my kids know what has happened and I don't want to let it go, as I will lose their respect if I do. My son is unhappy because the bike the seat was stolen from was a present from his dad.

How do I handle this?
Nonsuch
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: I suspect my new neighbour...

Postby Ticktock » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:41 am

Can't quite visualise how your gardens work, are they communal or do you have separate gated access?

You could confront him, go round his house and request the seat back or tell him you will call the police. In all honesty unless you can prove the seat is yours the police are unlikely to take it past the point of interviewing him and in the process seriously ticking him off, which will come back on you in all sorts of unpleasant ways.

You could ask for the seat back and point out you don't have plenty, try and play on his sympathy, although casual thieves like this don't have much, still worth a try and might at least prevent him trying it again.

You might also get a shed to store the bikes in, or a lock for the garden gate if you have one, to make future stealing just that little more awkward, although I appreciate that may cause problems for the kids.
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...