Mum taking out debts in my name behind my back!

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Mum taking out debts in my name behind my back!

Postby Shortee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Hiya,

As the subject suggests my mum took out debts in my name, so essentially put me into debt.
She has bad credit herself and has signed up for about 4 or 5 catalogues/mail orders in my name which she has then run a debt up on in my name.
She has been paying them but its got out of hand and shes got to a point where one has actually gone to a CCJ as she cant afford to pay the minimum’s!
I only found all this out when I done a credit score thingy and they all appeared on there!
I just dont know what to do, shes ruined my credit score and me and my boyfriend were wanting to move out and get a mortgage but theres no chance.
Is there anything I can do, obviously I don’t want to get my mum into trouble over this but on the same hand I don’t want the debts in my name or ruining all my chances!?
Any advice?

Thanks ?
Shortee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Mum taking out debts in my name behind my back!

Postby Angel_Fairy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:02 am

oh dear, sweetheart :(

That's awful that your mum has done this behind your back, it wouldn't have been so bad if you'd known because you could've kept a check on it.

Well, it is fraud she has committed and if you were in fact a stranger, she'd be looking at a visit from the Police. But I am very sure this is not the avenue you wish to take. Sadly, because you do not want to hold your mum accountable, there isn't anything you can do...Your credit history will always have this blemish, and it will take a few years to build up your good credit again, but in this time, you won't be able to take out loans, credit cards, mortgage etc- which is very sad for you.

Have you discussed this with your mum? Does she realise how she has affected your credit rating?Does she feel guilty?

I am so sorry to hear this and I hope your mum realises what she has done and maybe takes account for her actions, she does seem like she has a problem :(

Good Luck, Honey xxx
Angel_Fairy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 pm

You won't be doing your mum any favours by covering up for her and she may do it to someone else.
She has to face the consequences of her actions or you will face them as it's all in your name
I think you have to report her. She has put you in an awful position where you have no choice if you want to clear your credit rating and be able to get a mortgage.
Why should you suffer for her mistakes, she must do that herself.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Shortee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for your replies.
I have had loads of discussions with my mum about this and had a huge argument when I first found out etc. She does feel really guilty, I know she wants to put it all right but she cant afford to.
We get on well and I know she struggles financially so I dont want to go on and on about it all the time.
She isnt a bad person so wouldnt ever do that to anyone else, I think it was just easy as things came through in my name and she just thought it would be ok as she would pay it etc and then it got out of hand you know.
Obviously I dont want her to get into trouble with the police so i'm not going to report her but I just feel so stuck. I know theres not much anyone can advice me but I really appreciate your advice girls so thanks very much for replying :)
Shortee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am

If she would do it to her own daughter she would do it to anyone.
You need to think tough love.
You should go to the citizens advice on how to resolve the debts and get them out of your name. She may not need to get a criminal record for it, I don't know how they deal with things so go and ask the questions.
If you don't take this route you will never get your credit put straight
I know she is your mum but feeling guilty won't put this right. She was selfish enough to put you in this bad postion so you have to let her take the consequences. Going unpunished will not teach her any lessons and the debts will continue to be a problem.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to And the rest...