My neice (Family issues)

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My neice (Family issues)

Postby hana.15 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 am

My brothers gf had a baby around 14 months ago....
However me and my mum dont get to see the baby because we dont get on with the mother. However there has been a few issues recently that has provoked my mum to contact social service because of the welfare of the baby...

Event 1

My brother wanted to go to cardiff with my mum, and she locked him in the room saying he was not allowed to go, the baby was upstairs screaming while she was down stairs, and there was no way my brother could get up the stairs without her moving.
My mum went down there to help my brother get out of the house, and found the house in a right tip, there was left over curry tiped on the floor and going green, there was baby bottles covered in dust and left under the tv unit. The house was a right state.
She also had cut marks up both her arms

Event 2

My brother stayed home for my youngest brothers birthday, she then went and took an overdose on anti depressants, with only her and the baby in the house. The house again was a mess and the baby was then left with a 14 year old girl over night. My brother went down there to get the baby so she wasnt left with her sister (Order from social services) however she wouldnt open the door..

My problem is that i now dont no what way to go about anything, because im trying to support my brother however at the same time im getting my dad jumping down my throut everytime social services are informed, however as you can see both incidents are quite serious incidents and there was nothing my mum or anyone could do, other than a legal service. Any advice on what i can do to keep my self under control, because at the momment i dont no what i can possibly do to keep myself calm. And any advice on what my next actions would be towards the social services.
hana.15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: My neice (Family issues)

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Refuse to have an opinion. Let your mum deal with it as she see's appropriate and tell everyone you wnat to keep out of it.
Social services will now have this girl on their radar and should be checking in on a ragular basis. Also your brother is old enough to have a baby so he is old enough to call socail services himself if necessary
You can't solve everyone else problems and you have others trying so stay out of it and just be there for your brother if he needs someone to talk to
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby hana.15 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Thing is my mum is getting sick of having to sort everything out, because it always happens when my brother comes up to my house. I want to be there to support my brother but its so hard to support him when i no it does not matter what i say she will sink her teeth in and he will go back to being on her hook again. Its the baby that im worried about because although i not seen her much in the last 14 months its not right to have overdosed infront of her, and her being in that situation at all.
hana.15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:07 pm

I do understand how frustrating it is but your mum is big enough to decide when to put her foot down and decide what to do or not to do.
You don't even have to say anything to your brother to support him you just have to show that home is a great place to be, just being there and accepting him will make him feel it's always a good place to come back to and maybe eventually he will leave her for good.
Nothing you say will make him change his mind he has to do that for himself. It's probably the baby that makes him go back, although if he still loves her he may live on blind hope.
There is nothing practical you can do as your not involved with the baby. I know you said you don't get on with the mother, is it possible for you to make up?
I am pretty sure the g/f will be made to attend some form of conselling as part of her ongoing assesment as a fit/unfit parent. It could be that she has bad post natal depression and will get better with treatment. Maybe this is what your brother hopes for.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to And the rest...