Strange voice problem.

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Strange voice problem.

Postby JennaXXX » Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I have posted about this before but I am starting to feel so paranoid about my voice.
I am English, have lived in the same area all my life and my parents/grandparents have also lived in the same area. However, I constantly get asked where I am from. I only have to speak a few words and the person in questions eyes will widen and go *My god. You have a broad accent. Where are you from?* I tell them I am from around here and they just look at me like I have two heads and refuse to believe it.
Today, a woman I work with said *You have SUCH a strong accent. Where are you from?* I told her and she said *Wow, I thought you were going to say you came from abroad somewhere.* I felt so embarassed that I just went silent and looked away. I felt so embarassed.
At least 20 people have now said I have an accent and I am so embarassed about it. However, there are other people who don't get it at all and think that I haven't got an accent.
I have heard my voice on an answering machine and as stupid as it sounds I nearly cried as I DO sound very weird. I end words weirdly and I think that is why people say I have an accent. No-one has ever suggested I have a speech impediment or a problem with my voice, nor do they laugh. But they always say it is strange and that it is unbelievable that I live around here.

What can I do? If I went to a speech therapist I don't think they would treat me as there isn't a speech impediment. At the same time, I also can't see myself accepting and living with the voice that I do have. It is really affecting my confidence and I am already a very shy person as it is. :cry:
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Strange voice problem.

Postby Skarlet » Fri May 07, 2010 8:19 pm

You can go to vocal coaches, it's how actors learn to get accents or lose there's. Why does it matterthough? Having an accent isn't anything to be ashamed off.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Sat May 08, 2010 12:01 am

Try not to worry about it. Okay people may think your voice/accent is unique but thats not a bad thing.
Their surprise reaction is relatively a happy and enjoyable one. They dont think you're weird, they like the fact that you have an accent.
You may find that in the future you may have a partner who absolutely adores your accent for its uniqueness.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 pm

To be honest if it's bothering you that much (and I can see why it does) I would try a speech therapist/vocal coach. At the very least you'll get some help and feedback on how you sound, and get to understand where the 'accent' comes from. If you explained how you felt to your GP you might be able to get this on the NHS as it's affecting your mental health, but I doubt it. But if you're working you could probably afford treatment yourself. Your GP would still be a good person to ask though, as s/he might be able to give a recommendation.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 am

Aslo just to add that we all hear ovuselves completely different in our head than if we hear ourselves on tape.
I can't stand myself on tape and swear i will never speak again but it only last a few minutes and I am back chatting the hind legs off a donkey again :roll:

Just because people think you have an accent doesn't make it a critsism either.

A vocal coach could definately help if it's really what you want but i think conselling for your self esteem would be a better way to spend your money becasue it's all part and parcel of the smae problem
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Jonaslove » Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Personally I LOVE accents (must say the irish accent is my favourite!) As do many other people, so you really shouldn't worry!

But I do understand that it may get you down as you are not actually from somewhere with a different accent. Listen to the people around you and the way they talk and try and see what differences there are, you will probably find that everyone speaks slightly differently and do not pronounce all words in the same way.

I have also listened to my voice after its been recorded; was absolutely awful! Truth is though, you don't actually sound like that when you talk.

I think that the suggestion of something like counselling would be a good choice as it can teach you how to love yourself and give you so much confidence. Learn to accept and love the way you are, and you will never worry about things like this again!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! :)
Jonaslove
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby classtwo » Sun May 30, 2010 3:11 pm

You don't need to be embarrassed. I'm sure that you are a very good, nice and clever person. Don't worry about that what other people are saying and thinking about your voice. It is your voice, however it is. You are something special (in the positive sense!). What you need to do is to belive in yourself and to accept yourself how you are. Also to be loved by yourself how you are. All the other people have to accept you how you are. It is just you! Never give up in beliving in yourself.

I wish you all the best for your future.
classtwo
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to And the rest...