Arrrgh Nits!!!

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Arrrgh Nits!!!

Postby emma_leigh_2003 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:28 pm

When brushing my 4 year old daughter's hair yesterday morning, i spotted something creeping around in her hair. On closer inspection i realised they were nit's. So off i went to the chemist and bought Full Marks nit lotion.

When we got back I applied the lotion to her dry hair and left it on for an hour like it said on the box. After i washed it out, I combed all the dead nits and eggs i could see out with a nit comb, doing it section by section.

Before putting her to bed, i changed all her bedding, gave her mattress a hovering and turned the mattress over. Yet this morning she woke up with her hair crawling with nit's again. :evil:

So that must mean either that the lotion didn't work, or i didn't comb all of them out properly. Can any of you recommend a good Nit Shampoo/lotion/mouse that i can use on her hair now? Rather than waiting till next week as i read on the full marks box that it's i shouldn't do more than one treatment a week.
emma_leigh_2003
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:40 am

Nits in bedding etc apparently (according to a frustrated friend of mine) dont die for a while. What you should do is put the bedding in black bags for a couple of weeks, get new stuff and this way you are waiting for all of them to die. Then after a couple of weeks, wash the bedding on a high temperature.

With the nits in the hair see the school nurse for advice. There is a theory that nits are becoming immune to the lotions. And the lotions are expensive! They only like clean hair so maybe not washing her hair as often or washing it is Tea Tree oil products (they hate tea tree). Tea Tree is quite effective, nits hate it and cant stick to the hair as well you can either put the essential oil into normal shampoo, or buy the dedicated shampoo from a chemist.

Even with the lotion, the unhatched eggs wont die straight away and intense combing with the nit comb gets some of them out but unfortunately they are very easy to miss. Look around the base of the hair at the nape of the neck - they are often hidden there. Head lice are one of those things that affect most schools and drive mums mad. Put your daughters hair up for school/nursery and as i said before, see the school nurse or health visitor. Draw it to the attention of the school so they know there is a problem.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:35 am

Why is it that hearing/reading about head lice always makes you itch? :D

I remember when I had head lice, it took my mother ages to get rid of the little vermits. All Saz had to say is extemely helpful, but here are a few things I remember being done to me.

My mother made me sleep in the bathtub. I was given one inflatable bath pillow to sleep on, and that was it. Mom turned the heat up in the bathroom so I'd be warm enough. Surprisingly, I thought it was fun, and enjoyed it. This prevents you from having to wash and sanitize loads of sheets and blankets.

We used the special lotions once, and that was it. The lotions generally kill the eggs, but don't get rid of the already alive lice. So all that's left is to pick them all out. You will miss them though, so don't let your daughter take a bath or wash her hair. The dirtier the hair, the more the lice will want to leave.

Make her wear an old toque. It keeps the hair all together and helps the lice from spreading to other clothing and onto furniture.

Good luck! Its a long hard road, but it happens to the best of us! :D
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Cee » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:54 am

My youngers son's school had this problem before christmas, i'm so glad he didn't get infected reading the above, sounds awful, my old cat having fleas was bad enough.

I have heard the Tea Tree story too, go for that, and hope you are all cleared up soon :)
Cee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mariamaria » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:32 pm

My mother used to check our hair on a regular basis when we had nits. Everytime we came out of the shower or washed our hair, she'd grab the nit-comb and start combing until she'd found as many nits as she could.

It's very difficult keeping a track of the little monsters, but you have to do it. Check her hair regularly, picking out allllllllllll the nits that you possibly can and apply the lotion (the very expensive lotion) to her hair once a week, as recommended and as somebody said before, dont let her wash her hair only with the Tea Tree stuff.

Keep checking her hair!!!
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:41 am

The best thing to do is one person is infected is to treat everyone in the family. This way it means there isn't a greater risk of re-infestation.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby charlie2003 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:44 am

have you tryed tea tree oil? You can get it in a spray or the shampoo. They don't like the stuff. My neice gets nits all the time. As soon as she comes back from playschool shes got them again and the nit lotions don't seam to work. But the tea tree stuff seams to keep them under control. My sister in law leaves the stuff in for a few ours then washes it out and runs a nit comb threw her hair. She does this once a week but the nit comb every day.
charlie2003
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RavenFire » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:31 pm

I have heard that Tea Tree Oil is very good and there are a variety of different nit combs around. I myself use loads of conditioner and a nit comb to go through my daughters hair (oh im getting itchy thinking about it..lol). If your daughter has long hair always try to put it up when she goes to nursery or playschool as I have found that this does help and just quickly run the nit comb through her hair with a little conditioner everytime you wash it to help keep it clean.
RavenFire
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby carolblake1973 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:18 pm

If they were alive next day then the stuff you used wasn't good enough. There is some chemical resistance in headlice these days so you may have to try a few different products. Ask your pharmacist and ensure you follow the instructions. Also try tying your kids hair up to make infection with nits harder.
carolblake1973
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby gcjw » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:15 am

I have 7 children and they've all had head lice at some point or another. I've tried several lotions but found they don't work, the best way to treat head lice is the conditoner method.

This method is very safe. It is cheap, and works well. All you need is a large bottle of hair conditioner, a nit comb, and some time and patience.

Wash hair with your usual shampoo
While hair is wet, apply plenty of hair conditioner
Comb hair using a fine nit comb.

comb from the roots upwards
check the comb for lice, and clear them away, after each sweep
comb all hair, a little at a time, carefully,
Repeat this every 3 days for 2 weeks to get rid of any newly hatched lice.
Remember to check everyone in the family for lice and nits.

With a little time and effort, you can get rid of lice, safely, cheaply, and without using any chemicals.

Hope is helps
G
gcjw
Just Landed
Just Landed

head lice

Postby angela » Sat May 01, 2004 12:54 am

yuk! unfortunatley there isnt a school around these days that doesn't have a nit problem. it can be an exspensive pass time de-niting!! did u know that your doctor can prescibe some pretty powerful lotion? it's easier on the pocket too.
angela
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby luvva » Sat May 01, 2004 3:32 pm

I could be thinking of somehting else, but I'm sure when I was younger our school always had nit problems and after my mum had used the lotion and everything, the next day before school should would put a spray on my hair that helped to stop me getting them all the time.

I don't think nits would go onto my hair because they didn't like the product or the smell it gave my hair or something.

Maybe you could ask your doctor or chemist if they have that?
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dizzy_days » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Ok you may think im crazy!! i am by the way!! but............

untill you can use the lotion again! between lotion washes! try using a really good conditioner and using the nit combe do the same sort of thing! my mum always used to say ''they cant hold to your hair for ever!''...lol i understand what she means!! the lotion did stink!!
*Play*
dizzy_days
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Cameron2810 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:13 pm

gcjw wrote:I have 7 children and they've all had head lice at some point or another. I've tried several lotions but found they don't work, the best way to treat head lice is the conditoner method.

This method is very safe. It is cheap, and works well. All you need is a large bottle of hair conditioner, a nit comb, and some time and patience.

Wash hair with your usual shampoo
While hair is wet, apply plenty of hair conditioner
Comb hair using a fine nit comb.

comb from the roots upwards
check the comb for lice, and clear them away, after each sweep
comb all hair, a little at a time, carefully,
Repeat this every 3 days for 2 weeks to get rid of any newly hatched lice.
Remember to check everyone in the family for lice and nits.

With a little time and effort, you can get rid of lice, safely, cheaply, and without using any chemicals.

Hope is helps
G

this worked with one of my boys as well. It's cheap and easy. Only one of my four has ever had them though. And he must have caught them from school, they sent a letter round telling parents of he problem and that everyone should be checked! They are horrible little things!
Cameron2810
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby worstfriend » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 pm

I happen to work for a pharmacy project which deals with a number of problems, one of which is Headlice.

They are totally AWFUL, and i sympathise.

Our guidelines state that each infected person in the family should all be treated at the same time, using the following regime. One 12-hour application of pesticide lotion (Fullmarks or Suleo Lotion are good), which is put on and left overnight then rinsed in the morning - don;t bother with mousses or 1-hour treatments or shampoos, they simply aren;t very effective. THen, everyone treated the first time is treated again 7 days later with the same 12-hour treatment. They should then have their hair wet-combed using a nit-comb every third night for 3 weeks, after which they should be clear. Checking everyone's hair once or twice a week is a good idea too.

Notify the school if your kids are affected - they will be getting the lice from other kids there, and their parents need to know so they can be treated.

Prevention is better than cure - keep long hair tied back - there are a number of nit-repelling hairsprays on the market which can also help.

WF
worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Children