5 year old ignores me!!

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

5 year old ignores me!!

Postby Rarity » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi, I've been having this problem for a while now. I have a recently (in September) turned 5 little girl. She is a really good kid most of the time, and especially compared to some kids I know. But she has this really bad habit of ignoring me and it's starting to REALLY get on my nerves now... She knows she's doing it, because I will catch her smiling when she does it, or she will blatantly talk over me and play with her toys when I ask her to do something. I'm at the end of my tether with it and I feel like I'm just shouting at her all the time. I've tried ignoring her back, but she just screams and shouts until I acknowledge her, and I've tried punishing her for it, but it doesn't seem to work. One thing I can't stand is being ignored, and getting it from my daughter everyday is really stressing me out... It's got to the point where, and I know it sounds awful, I can't wait for the weekend to come when she goes to stay with her dad, just so I have a few days where I'm not constantly repeating myself or telling her off. A good example is tonight. She was in the bath and kept splashing so the water was going all over the floor. I asked her to stop splashing... she carried on. I told her off for doing it, and as I picked her up out of the bath she thrashed her legs so the water went everywhere. As I tried to tell her off she just started singing and playing with her toy, until I ended up pulling the toy off her and shouting at her. I feel awful for shouting, but it seems like raising my voice is the only way I can get her to listen. My mum says it's the "negative attention" she's getting from it. But if she listens to me, she gets positive attention, so why does she keep doing it?

Has anyone else here had the same problem and found a technique to get them to listen or to de-stress me a bit? I don't want her to feel like I'm shouting at her all the time, but I also don't want a spoilt, ignorant brat for a child!!

Any help will be very much appreciated!!
Rarity
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: 5 year old ignores me!!

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Are you sure there is nothing troubling her bullying or inappropriate touching.
i don't want to scare you but sometimes these behaviours are a form of trying to let you know something

It could just be attention seeking so once you have ruled out anything sinister then you can handle it
The problem is the more you rise to it the more she will do it
Sit her down and calmly ask her why she does it.Do this in a neutral environment without too many distractions. Perhaps go for a walk in the fields. Tell her it really hurts your feelings and you don't want to have to shout at her. Tell her you love her. Then tell her what is going to happen in future when she does it. Take her favorite toy away until she apologies.
If necessary get to the point of taking away all of them. She will hopefully soon realise she does not hold the power.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Children