Apron strings.

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Apron strings.

Postby Princecharming » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am

As posters may be aware I have three children, 8, 6 & 4. All boys. They all have dyspraxia. My 8 year old wants to go out on his bike just behind our row of houses but my wife doesn't like the idea. We have a big garden with a goal, trampoline, slide and swing. Plenty of room to play. I think he should be allowed but because of his condition we do worry.
Cheers.
Princecharming
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Apron strings.

Postby jen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:55 am

Would it be possible for you and your wife to go out with him the first few times and see how he gets on? If he's wearing protective gear then obviously his risk of injury will be reduced.

I can understand why you'd be worried so maybe if you both go out with him a few times and see that he's ok, it'll maybe make you feel more at ease about him going out?
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Apron strings.

Postby Princecharming » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah, we've stood at the bottom of the garden and watched. He seems ok and there are some older boys a bit further down who is trying to make friends with.
Princecharming
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Skarlet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Is he able to do a cycling proficiency course at his school? Would that give reassurance to your wife that he was able to go out on his own on the bike?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Apron strings.

Postby Princecharming » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:10 am

Yes they do a cycle proficiency but for year 4. He is in year 3 though.
Princecharming
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Liquidius » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:25 pm

I dont have kids, but I think I learnt more whilst falling off of my bike than I ever did riding it! I think (as others have suggested) that you go out and watch for the first few times, and see how things go. You may find that the more often he goes out, and comes back in one piece, the more confident both you and your wife will feel about letting him out.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Children