To change schools?

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
StephEChick
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

To change schools?

Post by StephEChick » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Just after some opinions really?

We moved house 2 1/2 year ago taking our son out of a rubbish state school and moving him to a local private school. My son has never really been academic and has always struggled so we thought a private education might help. Also my father was giving him lots of one-to-one tuition that really helped unfortunately he passed away 18 months ago.

Lewis is now in Year 5 moving to year 6 in September and completing his 11+ next year. After having a parents evening a week or so ago his teacher kinda confirmed that Lewis will find it very difficult to pass his 11+ which is fine by me (there are some good state schools in our area) however Lewis wants to go to the same school as his friends....most of them will be going to one of the Grammer Schools in the area. At his school there is only 1 class per year and 20 kids in his class...one of the grammer schools is boys only so the likelyhood of him seeing any of his classmates is very low!

I saw a parent in the playground this morning who said its her daughters final day at school...I asked if they were moving and she just said no...just leaving the school. I thought this kinda strange with it being 1 year till they move up schools but it has got me thinking..........it might be the situation she's in!

If ive been told that he will not pass his 11+, would it be selfish of me to move him to a local school for his final year where he'd make new friends that would ultimately be moving up to the same school as him.........AND saving myself a years school fee's?

TBH it had never of occured to me before until this lady said her daughter was leaving but its got me thinking whether it could be an option?

Do you think it could be detremental to his education to move schools now or that kids are stronger than we think and can adapt to different situations? He makes friends very easily anyway and will actually know more children when he moves up to Secondry School next year? And yes...money comes into it when I have to pay a years school fee's which I dont exactly have sitting available.

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: To change schools?

Post by Bel Bel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Have you asked your son what he would like to do?

I think a frank discussion with him that he isn't going to be able to move school with his friends anyway might be worth having.

He will adapt even if the thought frightens him a bit, kids do

A lot of kids lose friends when they move from primary to secondary school even if they are changing from State to State school.

One thought is it might be better in some respect to go from primary grammer to state secondary rather than go grammer to state for the last year. I am not sure how other kids may react knowing he has come from private into a state school. I know he will still be doing the same at secondary level but at that point lots of kids will be coming from lots of different schools - just a thought.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: To change schools?

Post by Bel Bel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Is private tuition an option to help him get through his 11+?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK