Potty Training.

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Potty Training.

Post by LemonJuice87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Ok, basics.

My daughter is 2, she will be 3 in June and she starts Nursery in September. Which is rapidly approaching.

She's not potty trained yet, she's just not ready. I try every day to get her to sit on the potty but she throws a fit and starts crying. Just getting her to sit on it with her nappy still on would be a start but she wont even do that.
She tells me when she's having a wee and a number 2. She shows some signs of been ready but just wont follow through.

Mr.LemonJuice and my Dad are always going on at me that "I should have her trained by now, she starts Nursery in a few months, you need to do this, you should do that, dont do this, do it this way, try that" Its getting on my nerves because neither of them have tried anything with her. Its all up to me to make her do something she isnt ready for yet, which makes me out to be the bad cop.

Ive even gone to the extent of sitting on the frickin' potty myself, which was NOT comfortable lol. Even then my daughter told me that it wasnt mine and that I should be upstairs lol.

So now i'm attemping something else. Which Mr. LemonJuice's Mum and my Mum suggested. Letting her run around with no nappy on. Which i'm fine with, i can deal with the accidents, I have a laminate floor so its not a big deal. But my daughters not comfortable with it, she keeps on bringing me a nappy for me to put back on. I try to explain that she needs to leave it off so she can be a big girl and use the potty. But i'm afraid she has got the stubborn gene off me.

So i need some idea's off other parents. Or your stories of how you trained your kids. I just need something. Lol.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]

kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Potty Training.

Post by kerrie24 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Maybe she just doesnt like having a bare bum?What about putting knickers on but letting her know she has to try not and wet them.If she does wee in them dont make a fuss just keep trying and maybe get a sticker chart or something for when she is successfull.Wees normally happen quicker than no 2s aswel I found.I waited till my daughter was 3 to start as I did with my son and it only took them a week (longer for bedtime) as I feel they were ready then.
Dont let people tell you she is ready,she isnt their daughter and you know best.
Also my kids never went on the potty,they preferred the big toilet (put her on to try whenever you go),and you can get one of those little seats so she doesnt feel she will fall down.
Thats all I can think of really.As I used to say to those that interfered,you dont often see a four year old child in a nappy so they will go on the loo when theyre good and ready.

ennis81
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by ennis81 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi,

My daughter point blank REFUSED to have anything to do with a potty, I think we all sat on it at some stage but she would do the same as your daughter and start crying and screaming if I even put her near it, somebody suggested I get those Toddler Steps for the toilet (Sorry just re- read and realised Kerrie suggested the same kinda thing tee hee), so she would be "Going to the toilet like every one else" anyway it did the trick, and she was trained in no time, with my girl it was a case of her wanting to be like everyone else, I think she found the potty a bit embarrassing or something, give the steps a try and see how you get on, and use the pull up pants aswell, hope this helps x

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Post by Bel Bel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm

You must also make a huge fuss of her when she does use either potty or the toilet. Tell her she is so clever, clap, buy a present.
However I do think perhaps giving her a break for a week or two and starting again might be the best idea.
Give her a chance to catch her breath, she may even have forgotten by then why she wnated to be stubborn about it.
Do you have a garden? My mum trained my sister by putting her in the garden to play with nothing on and leaving the potty out there with her, better for accidents. Obviosuly not practical until it's warmer but if your out there gardening etc anyway it can be done
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by LemonJuice87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Hmmm, you guys saying that has kind of made a light bulb go off in my head.

I think i'll get some steps and a seat to go on the loo. She does like to be like everyone else.
Likes to have a shower with me instead of a bath 'on her own' (In the bath wise, i dont just leave her to it lol). I have to put a little makeup on her when I do mine. And dont get me started when I have to let her help make a cup of tea lol.

So yes, off I go up town to get some steps and a seat.

Thanks guys!

And BelBel, that is such a great idea!! I would love to try that one, but it's just not warm enough. And by the time it is warm enough, i'm hoping she'll be trained by then.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]