My Daughter

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My Daughter

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:33 pm

Ok, So my daughter is seeing a man who is twice her age, and frankly Im not best pleased. I talked to her about this and she said he was treating her right, and I have no worries about that, as I met the guy myself on everal occasions and he is wonderful. But anyway, She came to me the other day and asked if she could get pregnant from his "PreCum", I answered yes as Ive always been told it does, and then she went to her room all day and stayed there. No obviously this led me to believe that she has done somthing. Plus, the other night she said she was going to a friends house, I said fine and to leave their number. She wouldnt tell me anymore than that, so later that evening I rang the number and this guy answered, I could hear my daughter in the background, so God knows what they were up to? I dont want to sound like the over protective father, but she is still my little girl. Any Advice of what to telll her about sex and contraception and things, as I have no idea about pills or implants or things like that, Thanks
Sebastian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: My Daughter

Postby ToriL87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm

The fact that your daughter was able to ask you that question shows she's open to talking to you, which is good as a lot of girls wouldn't ask either of their parents anything sexual at all. Did you ask her why she wanted to know?
You also didn't say what age your daughter is?
Theres a lot of information online for parents about talking to their children/advice etc.
Even if your daughter already is sexually active, it seems like there are some things she doesn't know or is curious about, I think the main issues are probably making sure your daughter is being safe here, and dealing with the emotional side of things, reassuring her that she can talk to you if shes worried etc.

Obviously your concerned about her seeing an older guy, but it's good that you've met him, and can see some of his good qualities. If you can i'd talk to your daughter about sex, ask her if theres anything she is worried about, and advise her on being safe. If you feel awkward you could direct her to websites which are created to teach teenage girls about contraception etc. (or a lot of teenage magazines do the same)

Your daughter might want to go on the pill, and i think that it would be good to advise her to if she is sexually active, again theres lots of information online about the pill, but she will have to go to a GP of family planning clinic to have it perscribed.

heres some links to sites which might help you and your daughter
http://www.healthpromotionagency.org.uk ... arents.htm

http://www.ruthinking.co.uk/
Sorry, can't hang out, it's Quidditch season. You know how it is...
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Hannah_Anna95 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 pm

I know how your daughter feels about talking to you.. it's an awkward situation.
I never talk to my parents about these kind of situations, but atleast you know the basics of who she's dating!
I think you should sit down with her and talk to her about relationships and sex etc.. then she'll tell you what she's already done with him, and what they plan on doing together. And she'll feel better about it because she's spoken to you, and she won't have to be so secretive about when she's going to see him.
If she's watching TV or something just go and sit with her and turn off the TV and have a heart to heart.. and tell her about your experiences too, that might help :) if you're fine about it then she'll be fine about it. don't get angry or tell her off because that will make her want to rebel and go against what you advise.. so just keep it cool and everything will go smooth and you'll both feel SO much better :)

hope thats a little bit of help!
Hannah_Anna95
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby ceilidh1990 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm

I just thought I'd leave a quick message about the contraception thing.
I'm on the patch and have been for about 2 and a half years now. You change it weekly, which I find is a lot better than the pill as I think it's easier to forget about a pill. The patch has the same hormones as the pill and is as effective. Also, if you forget to change it on the right day, it won't matter as you have two days leeway (a lot better than the 12 hour leeway with the pill).
As for how to talk to your daughter about this, I'm not the best person to ask as I don't have kids.
It seems your daughter is more comfortable with you than I ever was with my parents though, so that's a good start.
Good luck :)
ceilidh1990
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby lovehate17 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Its good that she was able to ask you that and I know my dad would be thing and doing the exact same as you. I have never talked to my mum or dad about sex as I am too nervous they will go off the rocker. Personally i would talk to her casually at first just trying to slip it into conversation about how she feels about going on more permanent contraception as it more reliable because personally a sit down conversation can make me nervous. Though I do not know your relationship with your daughter and you are obviously a lot closer than me and my father so its what you think is best. A doctor will be able to explain things much clearer and she may open up more to them.
lovehate17
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Children