Frightened of giving birth

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Frightened of giving birth

Post by Cat Queen » Thu May 15, 2003 7:24 pm

Sounds strange, but im not pregnant. Just ever since I`ve thought about having kids, i`ve been scared of giving birth naturally. I even planned if I was to be pregnant ,to have Cisarian,under anesthetic.Because im SO scared of pain, blood, and the dreaded epidural needle in the spine! :( Scary stuff! I HATE blood tests, I normally sweat like anything when getting it done, and I start hyperventilating, sometimes I`ve fainted. :( Im really scared. I LOVE kids and would love my own. :) My b/f`s mum is a nurse,she says there`s a high chance of me or the child dying(or both) if I go through with the planned cisarian! :( :o Any mothers out there to give me tips or advice on what to do when the time comes?

misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by misatok11 » Thu May 15, 2003 10:03 pm

spoke to a doctor friend of mine. She says that the preferred method is naturally. Epidurals arent preferred because the gas and your bodies natural endorphins do much better. Doesnt the idea of holding your baby in your arms enthrall you. Your opinion will change later on possibly. As for the blood there really isnt much there to worry about.

misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by misatok11 » Thu May 15, 2003 10:04 pm

Anyway Ninewells isnt that bad is it??

kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by kitten » Fri May 16, 2003 9:02 am

I too am scared of giving birth hate needles etc. But thousands of women give birth everyday so the nurses/doctors now how to help you. It sounds like it will be painful but the joy of a child obviously outweighs that as many mothers have more than one child

misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by misatok11 » Fri May 16, 2003 9:35 am

The feeling of pain may last a few hours but the joy and happiness of holding your child in your arms lasts a lifetime.

Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanx

Post by Cat Queen » Tue May 20, 2003 7:00 pm

Thanx for your replies. I`d still like advice on method`s of birth,and the options.Oh, I WOULD love my own kids! :P Nothing wrong there! Just frightened of the procedure etc?Anymore advice please? :o XXX

misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by misatok11 » Tue May 20, 2003 7:58 pm

Try speaking to your local midwife/nurse or your GP.

Claire...
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Claire... » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:52 pm

I've had three children, and they all really hurt. But it isn't a bad pain. You know that it's perfectly natural what you are going through. I had gas and air with all mine, lovely stuff! Ihad pethidine with first two.
When the baby is put in your arms you still remember the pain, but it's not important because it doesn't hurt anymore.

nat30
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by nat30 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:33 pm

I have had two children and I'm the biggest wimp in the world, i hate pain, i try and get out of the dentist if at all possible!! However, it's not a pain like if you break your arm or cut yourself. This is a productive pain and instead of wishing it would go away, you almost wish it would get worse because it brings the baby one step closer.

I had an epidural, pethidine and gas and air with both mine. The epidural if you think too deeply about it, is not something you'd choose to have but it does help a great deal. I had no stitches and i can't remember there being much blood.

Try and analyse what your biggest fear is. Is it the needles or is it the pain? If its the needles perhaps you could have hypnotherapy to get you over your phobia. If you get over that then maybe you could get over the pain fear. After all, childbirth does hurt, theres no getting away from that but at least then you could have an epidural without any fear.

sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by sovs » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:17 pm

I really dont know what you all are talking about.
I had a son 11 months ago, and it doesnt hurt that much.
It feels more like you have an upset stomach than a pain.
I went through it all with just gas and air and believe me im a wimp to. i shake when i have blood tests. Trust me it aint that bad and with every contraction the babys that much closer to coming out.
And i was 17 when he was born.
When you watch films and see women screaming when they give birth, it makes me laugh because its such a load of bull.

Hope i helped a bit
sovs :wink:

Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Llisa » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:22 am

The rate of pain varies with different women sovs. It's fortunate that you didn't experience such pain, but it's true that childbirth can be very painful for most women. For a great number of reasons. My sister has had three huge baby boys and has passed out all three times with the pain she was in...and that was WITH demerol. So it all depends on the person.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.

sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by sovs » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:50 am

Thinking about it i guess your right, its probably because my son came at 34 weeks instesd of 40 and only weighed 5lb.
And even that early i needed help delivering and tore a little, so it probably would have hurt more.

Sorry if i annoyed anyone, it wasnt intended.
And to be honest, you forget what it feels like once its over. :wink:

Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Llisa » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:14 am

Now that I agree with
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.

saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Giving Birth

Post by saz » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:36 pm

Honestly you have nothing to worry about!!!!!

When i gave birth - totally naturally, no pain relief at all and still tore and had to have stitches - i was SO relieved that i didn't have to have a caesarean. I was dreading having a caesarean. My friend had to have one and couldn't move for 3 days, had a catheter (tube to wee in) and felt awful. She had a general anaesthetic and didn't see her baby for 2 hours after it was born.

I had my baby, they stitched me up (you have a lovely anaestetic) and i had a bath and went to sleep. I felt fine the next day (a bit sore). My labour was very long and boring and i was glad it was all over to be honest.

The pain is strange - i was induced so the contractions are very strong - but it is bearable. I never thought i would do it with no painkillers but i just wanted to see my beautiful baby. When i saw her, i totally forgot everything and cried.

The contractions do hurt but you are all over the place while they are happening and don't know what is going on or how long you have been there. When the head comes out it you stretch and you feel a stretching, tingle and burning sensation (it is not as painful as a contraction).

Believe me, you are more concerned with the baby and its wellbeing than yourself when you give birth. You just want to push it out and see it.

I look at her (and my stretchmarks) and think that it was all worth it. I would gladly do it again.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being

fudge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by fudge » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:49 pm

hi there :D
just like to say i understand you worries complitly im no fan of pain myself (dont know anyone who is ) and have a fear of dentists and anything to do with needles but still had 2 children first one was deliverd through ceserian at 36 weeks and second i had a natual berth with no pain killers at all and belive me its far less painfull to give birth the natural way as with c-sections there is a lot of pain and risk after the anistetic has worn off and if you fear an epidural then this is not the opption for you as c-sections are proformed with an epidural (well mine was)the pain off giving birth is intence im not going to denie that but it passes so quickle i was in labour of 46 hour 5 from onset but the time flys buy as your concentration is not on the pain or the time but on the child that your brining into the world i worried about the pain of giving birth all through my pregnancy although i had 1 child i didnt know what to expect with the second but it was in no way as bad as i thought and the pain is quickly forgotton once you are holding your baby im your arms and looking down at there wrinkled up little faces forget the pain and blood its the most amazing thing you will every do in your life and know matter how many people tell you what its like you will never truley understand how amaizing it is till you do it.
i dont know if any of this will help or how many people will agree with me but this is my experiance of it so i thought id share it and hope it has put your mind to rest a little :D
good luck and try not to worry