New baby - no sleep

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
cath24
Just Landed
Just Landed

New baby - no sleep

Post by cath24 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:48 pm

anyone got a new baby and cant cope with no sleep :( i have a 7 week old baby a little girl the most cutest thing youve ever seen, but im having a real problem at night im not getting to sleep until about 4 am and getting up at 7am to take my other child to school i am just about coping but i do have my bad days i just feel so tired does anybody feel the same. :cry:

Kit
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Kit » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:22 pm

hi ya,

Yeah I used to feel the same. My son is now 20 months old, but when he was younger he was a knightmare! I tried to get my head down when he slept, but there was always something that needed doing first ie bottles, washing up etc and by the time that was done he was awake again.

It used to kill me, he sleeps all through the night now, so that's a good thing, however he's just started getting into the habit of waking up at 5.30am!!! ARRGGGGHHH.

So hun, you're not alone, just remember to remain calm, and when the baby starts getting to you, put him/her in her crib and go sit down and have a cuppa.

cath24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by cath24 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:23 pm

im having a really bad day, she woke up at 7am and shes still awake :cry: its 10pm now, i just dont know what to do with her.

Kit
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Kit » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:24 am

does she have a dummy? I know the advise against it, but I gave my son one, it was the only thing to keep him quiet.

He also loved to have me sing to him, the usual twinkle twinkle and rock a bye baby, that sort of thing.

Also have you tried rocking her? I used to hold my son in my arms and rock him from side to side, that soothed him a little as well.

If this doesn't work try this (it might take some getting used to, but it's worth it in the end), put her down and just let her cry. The first time I tried this, my husband stood in front of the door so I couldn't go to him, because it really upset me hearing him scream, now though I'm glad he did, because he's great to get to sleep.

Just put her down, and walk away. Let her cry for 5 minutes then go and cuddle her, reasure her you're still around and then put her down again. if she still cries leave her to it for 10 mintes and go back. keep doing that and aventually she should fall asleep. I know it sound harsh, but it's the only way she's going to learn, if she's been fed, winded and nappy changed then she'll be ok.

She could also have a bit of colic, if she's constanly screaming and nothing soothes her, get some gripe water, and it should help her with her wind.

Chin up hun, it won't be this hard forever. :D

cath24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by cath24 » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:54 pm

still having problems today shes still not sleeping much shes had about 6 hours since yesterday ive tryed everything you told me but nothing is working my friend is looking after her for a few hours so i am having a brake, i even went to the docters today and he said that tere is nothing wrong with her he said the same as you to put her down in her cot , but even that isnt working it seems that something is waking her, she drops off to sleep easy but she keeps jumping and waking herself. its not noise waking her because she still doing it when its quite, i just dont know what to with her. :cry:

Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by Enigma » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:34 pm

I read something about playing soothing music to get the baby sleeping.

Anyone know much about this?

Kit
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Kit » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:38 pm

Yeah you can get relaxation tapes, underneath the music, is a constant "throbbing" noise. It's supposed to represent the beating of a heart, and make the baby feel more relaxed.

Personally I haven't tried them out, however I used to play (now don't laugh) Lionel Richie for my son. I'd put it on very low in the bed room as he liked that music, and it did help him relax a little.

Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by Enigma » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:54 pm

There a lots of merchants that sell various types of ambient sounds and soothing lullabies.

I found a site that sells an album of white noise! You can apparently enhance your work environment, improve study skills, and have it as part of your regular sleep routine. I guess if it helps then that's fine!

Seriously though, I think using music could help.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by smile » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:25 am

I used to have a CD, it was a waterfall. It was VERY relaxing. You had birds singing and everything. I got rid of it though because everytime I listened to it I needed to go to the loo. But it definetly does help. It's wortH a go. You can buy the CD's from most places like HMV and Virgin. Another good one, if you go into the local garden centre most of them have a little wooden stand with loads of CDs and tapes with different sounds on. I listened to a dolphin one once and that REALLY was relaxing. I could have fallen asleep in the shop! :D
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!

cath24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by cath24 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:15 pm

feel alot beter today had a really good night with her last night she slept for 9 hours, so ive had a really good day.

but i will give the music a go i think she would like that :)

Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by Enigma » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:31 pm

smile wrote:I got rid of it though because everytime I listened to it I needed to go to the loo.

LOL, aww!
:D

cath24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by cath24 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:34 pm

:( having a bad day again she just wont settle,

music hasnt helped, and ive tryed putting her down in the cot for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes but it just doesnt work with her.

i dont know what else to try.
any more suggestions? :-?

Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by Enigma » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:36 pm

I don't think you can expect immediate results with the musical solution, I think it's something that will need time for your baby to get accustomed to.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by smile » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:10 am

Hehe Enigma :D

Cath, babies sense their parents feelings. If you are feeling uptight and stressed then chances are that your baby will pick up on them. This may make her more upset. Try calming yourself down first so that when you go in and look after her you will feel calm and relaxed. It does help with babies I think. Take care of yourself and just remember... Babies do grow out of it.

Smile
x x x
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!

cath24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by cath24 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:07 pm

:D feel alot better ive had a good day,
she seems to be more settled,
i know now when her times are for getting moody,
it seems to be about 9 at night,
so now i know when its going to happen i can get ready for it and be nice and relaxed. :D