My Mum and her partner - again!

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

My Mum and her partner - again!

Postby MrsH » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi all,

You were all so much help with my last post I thought I would ask your advice on a new dilemma.

My husband and I have just this week found out that I'm pregnant, we've been trying for 3 years so are over the moon. We've told family and they are equally delighted however, my Mum has decided that her partner of a few years (who my husband cannot stand and I just about tolerate) will be called Pops. This has not gone down well with either myself or my husband. I said immediately that this may not be the case and we would rather use his name. However, my Mum has stated that the decision is not ours and her and her partner will make the decision. I am about to go on holiday with her in the next week and I know this is going to be brought up. I wondered if anyone would have any advice on how to deal with this tactfully without backing down.

Thanks (in advance)
MrsH
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: My Mum and her partner - again!

Postby snail » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 pm

First of all - congratulations :D

To be honest, my first thought when reading your post was - does it really matter what the baby calls him? It's just a word. And names often sort themselves out - the baby may end up mispronouncing the name and he becomes 'Lop-lop' or something. I wouldn't worry about it, just smile when your mum mentions it and say how great it all is. You're having a baby and you'll be a family, that's all that matters.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:19 pm

I totally agree
Choose your battles, this one is not worth it
Pops is better than grandad
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby David020549 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Many years ago my step grandfather was called "Pa" so "Pops" should not be an issue - unless you make it one. You might not particularly like Pops but for your mums sake make an effort to get on, your husband too.
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 pm

A sort of compromise might be "pop [name]". My Mum's father didnt get remarried until she was in her late 30s so she didnt feel particularly comfortable with us calling her new stepmum 'Grandma', so we all called her (names changed for privacy!) "Nana Jane". That seemed to appease my grandad and my Mum could cope with it.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Parents