Should I go to my dad's wedding?

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

Should I go to my dad's wedding?

Postby ratty80 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:51 am

My parents split up after 41 years of marriage in March this year. They had been rocky since they went on a cruise in the previous September where my dad met and had an affair with another woman. They are now getting married the end of this month. I suppose my dad was as fair to my mum as he could be and gave my mum all of the house leaving himself with just a small amount of savings (god help him if it doesn't work out!). My sister has said she will go to the wedding not that's she particularly happy about it just because she wants to support dad (as she doesn't think much of his new lady). If I don't go it kind of says my sister accepts it and I don't. If I do go it basically says we both r happy for him despite what he's done to our mum, less than a year before. What is the right thing to do? Is it disrespectful and thoughtless with regard to my mum if I were to go? I'm 34, my dad is 70, mum 67, sister 35.
ratty80
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Should I go to my dad's wedding?

Postby rufio89 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:21 am

It's up to you really.

For what it's worth, I think you should go. Relationships and complicated and people often find themselves staying in unhappy relationships because they dont know what else to do. You said yourself that he's tried to make the best of the situation (which I agree wasnt ideal), but I think the best thing to do is try not to think of him as your Dad, but just as a man who's having a second chance to start again.

How does your Mum feel about you going to the wedding?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Parents