My Dad's weight

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

My Dad's weight

Postby highlandcow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

I'm a little worried about my Dad's weight. He's always been on the cuddly side but just recently I've noticed he's put on a lot of weight. He's 57, and comfort eats during the day. He's a consultant and works a 10 day (on average) in one of the Glasgow hospitals and travels to other hospitals in Scotland as well. So I know the stress of keeping departments running doesn't help. He doesn't take breakfast, he chomps chocolate bars and rubbish during the day, then has a big meal and a bowl of cereal right before bed.

My stepmum is worried and has tried to talk to him about his weight, but he got angry so she is reluctant to mention it again. But we all know how dangerous being overweight is at a certain age. My Dad is a doctor...he knows this as well, but won't do anything to help himself.

It's very frustrating! And upsetting too, I don't want anything to happen to him. How can we get through to him?
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: My Dad's weight

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47 am

Could you ask him to come to gym with you for a new years resolution. Tell him you can't do it on your own and jokingly add you can help each other.
You can tell him you want to look after your cardio vascular health (because I'm pretty sure from your pics you don't need to lose weight)

As a doctor he knows he needs to do it and you can't make him unless he wants to but at least you will know you have tried
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: My Dad's weight

Postby Ross_87 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 pm

I know is a bit of a late reply from 2012 (only joined recently) Why don't you buy a few bikes and go cycling together, bit of Daddy Daughter time, or have him and his partner go cycling as a hobby. No point in suggesting cycling to work if he has to travel between hospitals, Glasgow Royal to Ninewells, stopping at Forth Valley Royal on the way home would be quite the cycle lol. Or walking/hill walking, Plenty of lovely scenery not far out of Glasgow. If he doesn't eat breakfast, Have you or his partner tried making him a healthy breakfast and giving it to him in the morning, as well as a healthy lunch?
Ross_87
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Parents