Being a first time Dad

For problems with parents, whatever your age...
DeadManInc
Just Landed
Just Landed

Being a first time Dad

Post by DeadManInc » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi there

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. I want to know truthfully from all the parents out there what its truely like to be a parent as I havent had any children of my own. I wanted children from a young age but then when i hit 27 I decided that i didnt like kids, even my own nephews I wasnt a big fan of but is that because they arent my own kids or do i generally dont like children? Im currently seeing someone whos much older than me and shes desperate to have children and i want to make her so happy by giving her what she wants, but im worried about what I will be like around them, i really dont know. I dont want to lose her, and im the sort of self sacrificing person that would hold back on his own happiness to make the woman in his life truely happy? is this the right thing to do? shes coming of age where its do or die time!! I dunno what to do!!

Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Being a first time Dad

Post by Jo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi DeadMinInc

I can almost hear the panic in your voice! :lol:

Just so you know where I'm coming from; I'm 40 with two grown up children and two young grandchildren. I became a parent at a young age. I always thought I'd end up having children at some point so I've never had to made a decision about it either way - it just happened.

Ok - I have conflicting voices in my head about your situation.

Voice 1 says that having a child is a big responsibility - certainly not something that you should be pressured into. A child should be wanted by both parents. You don't want to end up in a situation where you feel resentment towards your partner, or regret making the decision to have a child.

Voice 2 says that once you've had a child it's not the kind of thing you regret doing. Your own children are VERY different from other people's children. It's impossible to put into words what it feels like - it changes your view of the world forever, giving your life a richness and a sense of purpose that's hard to describe. You don't want to end up in a situation where your partner resents you because she feels that she's missed out on this.

I think the most important thing to base your decision on is not how you will be around the children - you will be fine around your own children - you will be absolutely besotted by them; think instead about the way your lives will change - I don't just mean by having a baby, I mean all the different phases you go through while bringing up children - watching them develop from babies, to toddlers, to children, to teenagers, to young adults and onwards.

Imagine yourself 30 years from now - do you want to have grown up children and grandchildren? How does it make you feel when you think about not having grown up children and grandchildren? Think about the big picture - they're not children for very long and it goes very fast.

It would be really useful to hear from people who ended up having children when they started out not wanting children.

DeadManInc
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by DeadManInc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am

I dont want her to resent me at all, i want to give her what she wants but i guess im just scared of how its going to change my life really. I want to be a stable situation finianically and emotionally before i could handle the possibility of having kids. Thanks for the advice, it would be nice to hear from people who didnt want children in the first place and then later became parents!

snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snail » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm not in that situation I'm afraid - I am a childless woman the same age as your partner - but I just wanted to say, from my own experience, almost everyone wants children eventually. The only exceptions are those people who are really certain they don't want them from the start; those who are ambivalent always seem to come round as they get older. Men come round to the idea later than women, presumably because they don't feel the pressure of time and therefore they don't consider the issue as much. I know one long-term couple who are breaking up at the moment because the man has decided he can't live without having his own children - he is 48, and always thought he had more time, and now has realised he doesn't.

The thing is, while you mustn't have children if you don't want them, I think it's very likely you will want them eventually. If you're sure this is the person you want to have them with, then it would probably be a good idea to go for it, as in 5-10 years' time the chance will be gone.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian

brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by brfc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:01 am

Being a Dad myself its a great experience and although me and his mum didnt work out i never once regret being a Dad. Its so great going over too see him at the weekend and spending time with him. seeing his smiley happy face and like jo says it changes your view of the world forever give your life a purpous. If you feel eventually you want children and you can see a future with your partner i say go for it otherwise you,ll regret it later down the line.

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Post by Bel Bel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:56 pm

i WAS A SINGLE PARENT WITH A GUY WHO PROMISED ME HE'D BE THERE ETC ETC. oops on caps :oops:
He wasn't and it is very very hard.
You are a man so it's easier to walk away but I don't think that's fair on the kid(s).
Once you have had them you can't give them back and they are a lifelong commitment. It does end once they hit 18.
They may not be the perfect kids you hope for and can bring trouble to your door at any stage of life
Be very careful about this decision
No one can decide for you but if you do decide to go for it (if you haven't already) go into with the attitude this is something I have to do well and make my best effort at or you could potentially leave some poor kid feeling unloved and rejected
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK