Dad over-doing it...

For problems with parents, whatever your age...
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Dad over-doing it...

Post by LemonJuice87 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Me and my 8 month old daughter live with my Dad. He's said numerous times that I shouldnt have to worry about finding my own place yet and he doesnt want me to to go anyway.

I dont want to go into to much detail, but my Dad got stabbed about 20 years ago and he's had problem's with his back ever since. Along with his back playing up all the time, he has arthritus (sp?) that affects him depending on the weather lol (When it's been warm, then goes cold and damp suddenly he has major problems).

Aswell as going to work everyday, he's trying to re-build our kitchen. And i feel that he's over-doing it.
I've suggested to him that he leave's work, so that way i can go back to work and bring the money into the house. But he always says that he's fine. And i know that he's not, and i'm worried that one day he's gonna end up in hospital for the rest of his life.

I dont know what else to do. Any suggestions?
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Post by Bel Bel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 am

I have back problems on and off and can honestly say that keeping moving is the best thing. People always tell me to relax, go home or lay down but it actually makes the problem worse and you have more time to dwell on it.
Yes it sounds like the kitchen could be going a bit far but I think he is just tryng to make a nice home for you and it's lovely that he cares so much.
All you can do is sit him down and say it worries you he does so much and that to take his time on the litchen, there is no rush. Is there anyone you know tht you could ask to help him?
Tell him despite his reassuarances you'd like him to take it a little bit easier because you love him and want him around as long as possible so he can be the best grandad he can. Hopefully that might make him think a little bit about being around for the little one in the future.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by LemonJuice87 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:03 pm

He did say last night that when he's at work his back doesnt hurt half as much as it does when he gets home. And i fully understand that.

As for him taking his time doing the kitchen, he's been taking his time for 15 years lol. But I'm used to that, my boyfriend said he would help out. And i'm happy for him to do that, i will get to see more of him (Even if it means making him 10 million cups of tea lol). But my Dad is very stubborn when it come's to things like that. He likes people to know what thier doing, so he doesnt have to keep telling them they are doing it wrong, or he wanted it doing another way. He feels like because it's his house, he has to do it.

I've even looked into professional builder's, and I can afford it if i cut out a few things, but he wont have that either. I cant win either way.

I'll see how he is tonight when he gets home, i'll make his favourite dinner and talk to him about over that. Hopefully this time we wont get into a row lol. (feels like we're married sometimes lmao)
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]