MY DAD is always drunk

For problems with parents, whatever your age...
SAM---
Just Landed
Just Landed

MY DAD is always drunk

Post by SAM--- » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:00 am

hello am sam lived with my dad for about 14 months now just me and him,i hate it so much. every night as soon as he gets in pours him a self a drink and drinks and drinks all night. every weekend i find asleep, on stairs, chairs and floors naked, he doesn't remember a thing in the morning. he is so lazy never tidys or anything and expects me to live like him and i cant take it no more. every where is such a mess and unhygienic. i feel i cant even talk to him no more or even be in the same room as him

all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by all_apologies » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:22 am

Hey, I totally sympathise with your situation. Have you brought it up with him at all? Is he aware he has a problem, and has he always been a heavy drinker?

Bringing up the fact that it upsets you might shock him into trying to change his ways, especially if you're quite young and still dependent. Or, you could broach the subject by letting him know you're concerned for his welfare, and asking if there's something that's getting him down and making him feel as though he needs to turn to drink. Can you think of any reasons? Maybe he's lonely, or unhappy at work for example? If so, tackling these issues might see him overcome his drinking problem. On the other hand, it may be the case that he needs professional help for a physiological drinking disorder. If you could give us a little more info on the circumstances it might help in advising you what to do next.

yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by yessica » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 pm

I agree with all_apologies. Talk to him. It may be a bit difficult and don't be too harsh. Try and put criticism in a sandwich: say something positive, followed by the ciriticism, finishing with another positive. It is the most effective way of getting someone to take your criticism seriosuly.

Try and find out why he's behaving this way. Has he always behaved like this? He may have a problem that's really bothering him. Try and get him to talk about it. He may drink 'cause he doesn't want to burden you.

I can understand how difficult this is for you. I have been in a similar situation. It can be very distressing. I didn't try the sandwich thing initially, but when I did it helped.

How old are you? If you're in education, could you go and see a councellor to discuss this? Or have you go one at work? I found this very helpful. It helped take some of the weight off my shoulders.
:D Smile and the world smiles with you. Laugh and they all think you're on drugs :lol:
xoxoxox