critical parents

For problems with parents, whatever your age...
mc1981
Just Landed
Just Landed

critical parents

Post by mc1981 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:49 am

Okay here goes, i originally posted another topic after joining this site (under girlfriends & boyfriends / the ex) but there's alot on my mind right now so i'll go onto my second problem! Just recently it's really been getting to me how my parents, particularly my dad, critcise every single thing that i do. It's just really been noticable recently with things that are going on and when i think about it i realise that they never ever have anything nice or even constructive to say to me - everything seems to be an insult or low level snipe of some kind.

I have alot on my mind just lately so i decided to take a week off work due to stress, to try and relax my mind and concentrate on other things. but with the amount of aggro i've been getting from them it's just not been relaxing at all! Instead of asking if i'm ok out of concern all i get is comments like 'oh more time off work? what's your problem this time?' and 'stress is not a real reason to take time off, you look ok to me!'. I argued with my dad about this last night and during the conversation he must have criticised me in some way about 15 times! You name it, he can make me feel bad about it - i had comments about what i wear, the food i eat, when i go to bed, the places i go, the fact i've not passed my driving test yet (failed twice) even comments about the sports i play, i like to play tennis but i'm not the best so i even get comments like 'why don't you try and find something you're actually good at!?'

If you read my previous post about the situation with my ex girlfriend, they even criticise me about that! my dad sits there and says he doesn't understand why i can't just make a decision and i need to 'sort myself out'. He even blames me for the break up claiming that i never used to treat her very well!! (not that he knows anything really about our relationship!) I'm just so sick and tired of being told non stop negative comments about myself, it doesn't exactly make you feel good. But all the time all i hear is - i'm lazy, i'm a quitter, i'm anti social, i'm miserable, i'm scruffy, i'm in-decisive, i eat the wrong foods, i spend time with the wrong people, i'm awkward, i have an attitude..... the list is endless. I know that parents can be critical sometimes because they care, i.e saying don't stay out too late or whatever, but this is different - it's just criticism and implying that everything about me is wrong - plain and simple. I don't even feel like talking to them at the minute but they are my parents and i live with them so it's difficult. Not sure what i'm looking for here exactly, wether it's advice, comfort, or just to hear from someone who has experienced similar? Be great to hear from someone anyway....

kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by kacie » Fri May 25, 2007 1:05 pm

I think that you should try to sort out whats in your mind first, go out for walks if you feel like everything is getting to you in the house. Once you've sorted you self out try to think positivly about yourself then at least you will feel that their critisisms wont be truthful.

i hope i've mean a little help