For problems with brothers and sisters!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby candlejar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Last edited by candlejar on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
candlejar
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: New Boyfriend/Brother Drama

Postby Tucco » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi there,

Its probably obvious to say but its your life, you are an Adult and so you make your own choices. Because your brother is older he obviously cares about your welfare etc and thats great but as long as you are not being physically harmed he should be supportive.
I would give him some time and space and hopefully he will come around.
I would also say that talking from experience (i am 14 yrs older than my wife)there is no real harm in the age gap, I do think that you/ we are at the top end though if that makes sense.
We have been together 14 years and married 8, we have 2 great kids and all is good, we are very compatable indeed,we did not have any family issues at all when we first got together (or now) and I think that was because my wifes Maternal Grandfather was quite a bit older than her Nan.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Last edited by Tucco on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucco
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: New Boyfriend/Brother Drama

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:24 pm

I agree with Tucco, the fact of the mater is, you are an adult and if you're happy with your boyfriend then that should be the end of it, right? Well, we all know that things aren't that simple. I'm 5 years older than my boyfriend, and he was 18 when we started dating and although that age gap isn't huge, a few people did raise eyebrows and questioned why I'd want to be with someone younger than me.

But the thing is, age shouldn't be a huge part of a relationship and people shouldn't care about it (obviously as long as both people are responsible adults and consenting to it!)

You're brother is being protective but I think that if you and your boyfriend have a loving and committed relationship, your brother will see it in time. If you're as close as you say then he will be happy for you. Ask him if he'd rather you be with someone a bit older who is respectful and makes you happy, or someone else who might not be the right person for you.

It takes all sorts of different people in this world and as long as you're doing what's right for the both of you then to hell what the world thinks.

Give your brother time, sometimes it takes a while to get used to family members in different lights, he'll come round.

Just enjoy your relationship. :D
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Siblings