Worried about not making anymore friends at uni

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Worried about not making anymore friends at uni

Postby emotionalwreck_ » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:49 am

Hello, I'm currently going to start uni soon and today I had an induction where I met a boy and a girl and we started chatting. I found out the boy is on my course but the girl isn't, and the girl had to leave early so it was just me and the boy that hung out. We have another induction day and it's specific to my course and I'm worried that I won't be able to make more friends because the boy has added me on Facebook and I'm worried he'll ask us to meet up. I don't mind being his friend as he is quite nice, but I'm worried that if I'm with him I won't be able to go freely to talk to other people. I don't want to just have one friend, I want to get to know as much people as possible and I'm worried that being with him will prevent me from meeting other people. This is because I also want some friends that are girls since I'm a girl.
Am I worrying too much? If not, what should I do to prevent this? Thank you.
emotionalwreck_
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Worried about not making anymore friends at uni

Postby Nonsuch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:21 pm

????? Are you for real? Of course you'll 'be able' to talk to other people! University is a time to meet lots and lots of new people, from varied backgrounds. And why shouldn't you meet up with your new friend? Why should that worry you? It's great to have a new point of contact. He will introduce you to all his new friends and you will introduce him to all your new friends, you will open up new circles for each other. Sounds great. :lol:

You sound like you are lacking in confidence. That will only get better as you talk to more people. I suggest you read, "How to Talk to Anyone" by Leil Lowndes. And keep practising! :wink:
Nonsuch
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Worried about not making anymore friends at uni

Postby mattmxl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:32 pm

I went to University and didn't speak to anybody whilst there. Did all the group work sessions on my own and spend nearly 100% of my time in my accommodation. Got my degree! Point I'm trying to make is, it doesn't really matter if you make new friends there or not, you can still be successful and needn't go worrying about that sort of stuff unduly.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Friends