Drunken manager problems

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Drunken manager problems

Postby jojo74 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:02 pm

I Volunteer in a charity shop. I`ve been there since Dec `15. Theres major issues with the manager now though which has been ongoing for the last 7 weeks. She started off ringing me at home,very drunk,on a regular basis almost as soon as I started. She was very verbal about her thoughts on the assistant manager etc. I brushed it off for months until 2 months ago,when she rung me one night,telling me that her son (who had just been released from prison 2 days prior) was coming into the shop as a volunteer but asked if I`d keep another of our vulnerable vols away from her son as her son " hated him and wanted to hurt him". Long story short,I refused to bring the vulnerable vol in for fear of his safety. It resulted in a big walk out by ALL vols,as they were all disgusted. Head office was informed and the manager (I`ll call her A) was told to hold a meeting with us to try and resolve things. She never contacted any of us. Instead,A went on the sick and has been since then. Whilst on the sick,she has constantly rung the shop,drunk and given me verbal abuse. She has also broken confidentiality as she informed the assistant manager that I had put a complaint in about the AM shop conduct several months ago. She ALSO told the AM that the area manager was aware of my complaint and she had told A to "shut her mouth". In between all this,A has put in 3 sick papers with different illness` and went to spain for 2 weeks! Theres so much more to this story and its driving the shop mad! Anyway,what Im wondering is,is there anyway HO can sack A whilst shes on the sick? Is there a loophole which allows them to do so?? A`s a severe alcoholic which HO are aware of but she hasnt used that for any of her sick papers. Its different reasons,ear infection,back problems etc.
jojo74
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Drunken manager problems

Postby David020549 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Jojo

This sort of problem is serious, on one hand your lady" A " has a lot of problems, on the other hand she has employment rights. There are strict disciplinary rules that all employers have to follow or there will be a claim for unfair dismissal, which could easily be tens of thousands of pounds, the employer must give her reasonable time (maybe 6 months) to get sorted.

As you are a volunteer stay out of the controversy and if needed stay away if it gets too bad. Verbal abuse is the least you can expect as a whistleblower, it could get violent, so maybe a different charity would benefit from your time. If you do stay write down the occasions that she contracts any of you and what she has said, that would be evidence of her behavior. If she is still officially your manager she has to behave properly.
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby jojo74 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:33 am

Hi David,
"A" has serious problems with working with others. She started off working in the shop as an assistant manager. She took an instant dislike to the then manager so put in numerous anonymous complaints against him which finally resulted in him being sacked and her taking over his position (she told me this herself in one of her many drunken calls). She is now doing the same to the AM and myself. She told me that I pose as a threat to her as I`m a very good worker and make her feel "inadequate". The reason I dont want to leave there is because I get on brilliantly with all the other vols and the AM,I know the shop inside out and we have built up an amazing relationship with our customers. We`re known locally as the Happy Shop. Its just so frustrating to see A doing so many wrong doings and nothing seems to be done. She has also abused HO on several occasions and the latest,only yesterday,she rung the shop next door to us telling them all whats been going on and saying she`s going to come back soon and get rid of all who work there (again,she was drunk)
jojo74
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby David020549 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:59 am

Hi Jojo

You must leave it to head office to build a case against her that would avoid an unfair dismissal claim, even then it is often easier to settle out of court rather than accumulate legal costs. All of this will take time, claim and counterclaim will be made so do not expect a quick or easy resolution. If she contacted a third party saying you would all be sacked that is compelling evidence that she is beyond the pale - record it.
I will say that managing a charity shop is not easy, employees can just be told what to do end of story, volunteers have to be asked nicely and have their own preferences who does what. A manager that is insecure and intellectually inferior to her staff will always struggle and probably fail.
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues