Work Trials are a waste of time!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Work Trials are a waste of time!

Postby oaksi567 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi guys, I want your opinion on something and it is really bothering me. I had an interview for a job at a restaurant, the harvester and it went really well. The person who interviewed me said that they would give me a trial to see if I would be ideal for the role, which would only be three hours the next day. At the time, I was really looking forward to having the trial and showing what I could do because I had previous experience in Waitering and bar work. However, it wasn't what i expected it to be. The trial itself was a waste of a time, I did nothing and had to shadow a waitress all day to learn about simple things like the menu, equipment and seating arrangements. By the time I started to help out and show my skills and enthusiasm, the manager who was on shift at the time, calls me in to the office and tells me that I was not showing enough initiative and communication, my trial lasted only one hour. I feel robbed of an opputunity and have not had a part time or full time job since I left school and I'm 23, Even if I do work for a job agency but it is on a temporary basis. I want a sustained Job in one place. What annoys me the most is the manager never even met me till I arrived at the trial and he did not interview me. How can you judge someone in a hour? Have you guys had any trials, where you feel you did not have a fair chance? I really wanted the job and never had a chance to show what I could have done. Although, I am a student at the moment at college hoping to gain qualifications to get me in to University, so I can study journalism because that is what I really would like to do. But Waitering is something I really wanted to do too. What do you guys think I should do and how I could prepare myself better for trials or interviews in the future. ](*,)
oaksi567
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Work Trials are a waste of time!

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Putting the trial to one side as this is odd and sounds more like the manager had already made up his mind before you got there.
I thought your comment was odd that you wanted a sustained job in one place.
You have never had a job, you cannot afford to be picky. Take whatever you can then you can work on getting something that meets your criteria.
Any job is better than no job and you are much more likely to be employed if you are already in employment.
Also I would consider voluntary work until you can get a job as this shows initiative and gives you something more than other candidates when applying.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues