Time off for the dentist

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Time off for the dentist

Postby maccy_p » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Last edited by maccy_p on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maccy_p
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Time off for the dentist

Postby Ticktock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:02 am

The short answer is yes if that is in your terms and conditions. You say that you were allowed to do this previously so I would be digging around your leave policy to see what has changed. Also if you have union representation ask them as this will have likely come up before.

Whether it is right morally or even sensible is another matter...
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Time off for the dentist

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:50 am

Something doesn't add up and I wonder if there's some confusion over what you were refused.

Your employer is perfectly entitled to refuse your holiday request provided he has a valid reason for doing so, e.g. it's very short notice, or your team is working under a tight deadline, and words to that effect are almost certainly in your contract.

However, the reason you want to take a holiday is none of your employer's business. I have never experienced or heard of any employer basing their decision of whether to grant leave or not based on your planned use of the time.

Provided you have the time left in your yearly holiday allowance I would ask him for an explanation as to why you have been refused your holiday request. You may find that there is a good reason for it and you've simply misunderstood him. If he is genuinely refusing based on your needing to visit the dentist I would advise him that you plan on taking the matter further, then approach whoever is above him in the company and if need be raise a grievance.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Work & Colleagues