Tough Spot

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
CoeurdAlene24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Tough Spot

Post by CoeurdAlene24 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm

I just wondered if anyone had any advice for me on a difficult situation. Currently working from home during the lockdown of course.

Around 4 weeks ago the owner of our company has suddenly made it clear he is pushing me out, despite being with the company for just under 2 years, with no major problems.

To start at the beginning, I was awaiting next instructions on an assignment from him and was told to work on another piece of work when I waited. The following week completely out the blue he emailed saying I had done nothing on the assignment (I was waiting) to which I was very surprised and defended myself. He then proceeded to call me up and just let rip, saying how I was the worst professional they had worked with, they have had doubts about me for a while and others in the company agreed (first I've heard). I didn’t know what to say apart from that I was doing my best despite the overwhelming workload. I asked that it sounded like they didn’t want me in the job any more. I didn’t get much of a response to this which left me distraught.

I was shell shocked as it was completely out of the blue. I decided to take a time off in which to assess and look at the job market. Currently during the lock down there is not much out there but at least I have the knowledge of this and have everything up to date.

When I returned to work the bullying (what i would say) has intensified significantly. The admission from me about my workload seems to have been used against me by overloading me even more. I have suffered aggressive emails scrutinising every detail of my work and told I can’t do basics. It has been relentless.

I am at my wits end and had to stop a panic attack earlier as it has been nearly a fortnight now of just intense bombardment, pulling other colleagues into it and spreading this notion I am no good to everyone.

We have no HR person to go to so he answers to no-one.

I am contemplating due to the severe stress and anxiety what I should do. I am not sleeping at all which then means I am not at my best and making mistakes I normally wouldn’t, which of course are then picked up on and so the vicious circle continues.

All I can think is they have need to cut some staff and I am on that list.

Lockdown is stressful on its own without this. I don’t think I can stand much more but the job market is dead so I am in tough spot.

Any help welcome.

Pete

snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tough Spot

Post by snail » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi Pete

Gosh that sounds really horrible. I don't know much about employment, so I mentioned your situation to someone I know who works in HR. This is what he said:

Ah yes I see a key piece of information there about the just under two years service. The point at which they can get rid of him without payment - they could make him redundant for nowt. It looks like they are going to say his work is not good enough. And the process for a small firm to do this is pretty easy - warn the employee and if they say conduct does not improve they can then get rid of them for lack of capability. I'd agree that they are looking to do that tbh. I don't think he's in a very strong position - he can't claim for constructive dismissal until after two years of service. He should take a look at the ACAS site for information, ACAS do provide advice on this.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian

CoeurdAlene24
Just Landed
Just Landed

Post by CoeurdAlene24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks Snail. It is indeed a bit of nightmare as I am just under 2 years. Unless some way I can push through over this and then I will be in a better position. I will check out the info specifically on ACAS for my situation. I wondered what your friend thought about specifically getting signed off with stress, does he think that would be a good idea because as I say, I am not sure if i can cope with any more days. This would also buy me some time... unless there was a strong reason now to of course.

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snail » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:55 pm

To be honest I think I wouldn't if you can help it - if by any chance you have got the wrong end of the stick and they actually weren't planning to get rid of you, it would tend to erode your credibility in the role I think. How are things now?
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian