Work misunderstanding

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Work misunderstanding

Postby Serenlas » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:14 pm

I hope someone can help. I recently started a new job, 7 days ago in fact and I am really happy and excited about it, it is quite a senior role in a great organisation. I have always worked hard in my career and have gathered good references over the years. My last role however was very challenging, it was a role where nasty behaviour was not only tolerated but encouraged by the more senior members of the team, my role dealing with people was the in-between and I have felt quite battered and bruised after finally leaving. Anyway in my new role, the environment seems pretty positive (anything would be an improvement on the last place) I had a meeting with a colleague today to handover some 'casework' and the girl exclaims, 'oh your there' I felt a bit confused by what she meant but didn't say anything, anyway she went through the casework and I left the meeting and couldn't then stop wandering if I was actually on the casework list, I have only been in the organisation 7 days so didn't think I would be encountering any problems. Anyway I emailed my manager to check, which I really regret doing, as then my manager clarified that I was certainly not on the casework list and went to see the girl, she then came back saying said employee had no recollection of saying my name and that I was paranoid, said employee did then back track and say she did say what I had remembered. Anyway all very awkward and I have to see the girl tomorrow. I intend to just laugh if of, and just get on with my job, but I am now worried if my new colleagues are going to think I am paranoid or odd, how do I overcome this? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have an important role and I have to engage in positive ways, it does seem however it was just one big misunderstanding.
Serenlas
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Work & Colleagues