Re Kindle Old Love

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re Kindle Old Love

Postby TartanLady » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi Guys I am in such a quandary. First let me explain, I am 50 and in my life I have had two loveless marriages and one passionate affair. I was married at age 20 to a guy 21 years older than me, it was a total disaster and only a few months after the marriage did I start a seven year affair with a guy. My first marriage ended - not because of the affair but due to violence - and my lover was not in a place to commit. I met and married my second husband almost 20 years ago, which has not been the most loving or fulfilling relationship. Then a few weeks ago my lover appeared on my facebook page we exchanged a few messages which became more and more flirty. Yesterday we met for a drink and chat and all the old feelings are there, for both of us. I know if I see him again we will end up as lovers again. Should I?
Tartan Lady
TartanLady
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Re Kindle Old Love

Postby Tarantula » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:15 pm

No. Get divorced first instead of more cheating.

Then again, when you were available, he didn't want you, so why you still going for it?
Tarantula
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby David020549 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:43 am

No you should not have an affair - but you probably will!. He has rekindled old happy memories and it will continue to be in your head, maybe, just maybe you will find lasting happiness, especially if he us encouraging you.

It sounds like your 20 year marriage has gone stale but you stay because you have no better option and it keeps a roof over your head. Unless you have cash or property rights to set up a new life getting divorced is not an attractive option, there are too many uncertainties, you will be very sure of your future plans before you dump hubby.

That is very different from a romp once a week 20 odd years ago, which is all many affairs amount to.
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby TartanLady » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:12 am

Thank, to clarify the property asset situation The house is mine itt was left to me and he has no claim to it. if I am honest the thought of starting again is frightening but I am scared, scared that a loveless marriage is all I have to look forward too, scared of being alone,
TartanLady
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby David020549 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:15 am

Your fears of being lonely after a divorce are well founded many women never find another man they want to live with, although it sounds like you will be financially secure. There is a current trend for couples to divorce after the kids are independant and do their own thing, in practice men usually are happier afterwards and find it much easier to find another usually younger partner.

Does your husband deserve being dumped in the way you are contemplating after 20 yrs he would be effectively homeless, what was your situation when you married, did you already have kids or have you had kids together since, give him whatever credit is due. You owning the house will have done nothing for his self esteem and probably libido he might be feeling like a " kept man" and I would not feel comfortable in that situation, if he goes with the flow all the time it is not very inspiring for you. An element of tension is needed is needed for a good relationship all the long term couples I know have it, life get boring if there is no controversy.

I think you probably need to meet your old boyfriend to find out about his present life, is he really the same man you knew years ago, is the chemistry still there, do you see him as a man you can live with. Try to be objective what life would be like with him, together can you have better lifestyle than you have now and can your combined income support that.

Good luck
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby fairy of darkness » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:58 am

I think the important thing to question here is why do you want to rekindle it.

Is it going to go somewhere this time?
Is he in a place to commit now whereas he wasn't before?
Is it a deeper connection than just lust?

Essentially what I suppose I am asking is, is it worth it? Potentially you could be left heartbroken as it sounds like you have feelings invested in him...

I just wonder what his current situation is.

Remember to put yourself first.

I have never been married so my opinion on this isn't an educated one. But if your marriage is loveless, and I am so sorry to hear that, then perhaps concentrate on ending that and finding happiness for yourself first would be most valuable to you.

F.O.D xx
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives