Belly/Hips/Thighs

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Belly/Hips/Thighs

Postby Messi10 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Hello.

The last few months i have been getting increasenly upset but my weight. I am 20 years old and about 13.5 stone. According to slim fast i am overweight but i dont think it is what i eat i think it is that i grew so fast in heighr and i dont exercise anymore.

I dont drink alcohol anymore so the belly wont be getting bigger it is just the hips and thighs are huge. I seen myself in a photo and i dont look right. I am seriously considering starving myself becsuse i think i am fat. I want to lose weight.

Help?
Messi10
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Belly/Hips/Thighs

Postby highlandcow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Please don't starve yourself.

Right, now I've got that out of the way, I guess most of us want to lose a bit of weight but there's not an easy cure. If anything is advertised as easy then it either isn't good for you and the results won't last long.

I would try and eat healthy foods and snacks little and often and get some exercise. Swimming is very good for cardio and is fun too.

Do you have anyone at home who can offer you encouragement and help you through?
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:02 pm

I have lost the best part of 3 stones over a year and a half and therefore know what it feels like to a) be unhappy with your weight and b) diet.

I think my advice would be to set yourself realistic goals and not to do anything drastic. The best way to lose weight is at a steady, sensible pace. You need to be patient and think of the long game... even if it takes you 2/3 years to get where you want to be, in the grand scheme of your life span, that time frame is a drop in the ocean. Losing it sensibly also means you're not damaging your health and you're less likely to pile it all back on.

My other bit of advice would be to not kick yourself if you have a bad day, or even a bad fortnight. You just need to think of every day as a fresh start/beginning. Don't think you've 'ruined' your diet if you have the odd cake/biscuit/other - just get back on the straight and narrow the next day and don't beat yourself up. I always used to fall into the trap of thinking that if I wasn't good 100% of the time, then I had failed and therefore I'd just give up all together.

Also, have you considered joining weight watchers/slimming world etc? That might help give you the support and encouragement you need.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm

I've lost about 20lbs since last summer, so like Ragdoll, I know what it's like to be unhappy with your weight and dieting.

The thing is, there really is no 'magic trick' to losing weight. A combination of dietary changes and exercise WILL shift excess weight. I feel like I should work for this website the number of times I've posted it on here, but I really do think it's a godsend.

caloriecount.about.com

basically you go on and log your calories everyday, log your weight and log any exercise you've done. People can go on and comment on what you've been doing, and people are really very kind and supportive on there.

I think the important thing to remember if you're dieting is to stay away from 'fad' diets. If you go on some crazy diet where you lose 2 stone in a month, then that weight is going to go straight back on. Only make dietary changes you're willing to do FOREVER. For example, I know that I'm never going to give up having takeaway curry, I love it, I enjoy it and I know if I tried to give it up completely, I'd fail. Instead, I've rationed myself to 1 per month, and try to eat more carefully the rest of that weekend. (also helps the wallet!)

There's a lot of stuff saying women need around 2000 calories per day on average, however I dont think that's accounting for how sedentary most peoples lives really are - I've been logging my calories for about a year now and if I eat 2000 calories a day, I pile weight on fast, unless I'm exercising heavily as well.

With exercise, I'd suggest finding a class you enjoy (enough) and find 1 or 2 people to go with you. I've always tried to get into sports and failed, I've been really good for a couple of weeks then given up. Having decided to start yoga with my mum and my sister, I've got almost every week for 5 months.

As RagDoll says, dont kick yourself if you have a bad day. Just tell yourself you had a bad day and try to make sure the next day is better. Dont try to overcompensate by starving yourself the next day. Apparently the fewest number of calories you should eat to stay healthy is 1200, so maybe aim to cut your calories down to 1400 per day. It's easier than you think.

How tall are you? What weight do you think you'd look and feel happy and healthy at?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby alphamach » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 am

Post everything you eat and drink on an average day
Then I can give tips there
alphamach
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby jimparsonjp7 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:51 am

Have you considered joining weight watchers/slimming world etc? That might help give you the support and encouragement you need.
jimparsonjp7
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Physical