Conception & hormone regulation issues - can anyone advise?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Conception & hormone regulation issues - can anyone advise?

Postby Ditzydame » Sun May 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello everyone :-) I wonder if anyone can help me...

Since my other half and I got married last summer, we've decided to try and start a family. We are both 26, in stable jobs, have a little bit of money behind us so believe this is a pretty good basis for raising a little one :-)

Anyways I've been on the contraceptive pill (Microgynon) since I was 16 with no breaks. In January of this year I decided to come off it as I've heard it takes a little while for your body to get back to normal (with periods and hormone regulations,etc). Reading up on various pregnancy forums and websites I've discovered the "normal" wait to get back to normal is 3 months. So hubby and I started "ntnp" (not trying, not preventing) as of March - even though I still wasn't having periods, which I read wasn't that abnormal.

Well it's almost June and I still haven't had a period since January. I have tested for pregnancy a few times just in case but all have come back negative - in hindsight I think I was a little naive to think I would be pregnant straight away (as this has happened to some of my friends) so I guess I'll have to wait it out :-(

I just wanted some advice from anyone who has possibly gone though this and how they have helped to conceive? I have started taking multivitamins every day as well as Pregnacare, but I have bought Primrose Oil, Agnus Castus and Folic acid which I plan to start taking on 1st June (then it's easier to remember when I took it!) - Can anyone tell me if these work? I've heard agnus castus is something you should stop taking / start taking on various times of the month but as I don't know when my cycle is I'm not sure when I should stop it?

I've also had loads of stress at work over the last 6 months which I've tried to reduce... I used to stay late / come in early to get work done but I've stopped all that now and feel loads better for it :-) I'm also a couple of stone overweight and I'm trying to lose some of that as well.

Any advice at all on this subject would be really much appreciated....

Hope someone can help :-) xxx
Ditzydame
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Conception & hormone regulation issues - can anyone advi

Postby snail » Sun May 27, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm not sure the agnus castus is a good idea as this shouldn't be taken during pregnancy, and you could become pregnant at any time and wouldn't know immediately.

I would speak to your doctor about your lack of periods and see what he or she says. When I've come off the Pill (also Microgynon) I've had a period within 6 weeks, even after being on it for 17 years at a stretch once. Stress could definitely be a factor in missing periods in my experience.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ditzydame » Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Hi Snail, thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

Sorry I should have mentioned before that we are using condoms as not to become pregnant whilst taking the agnus castus - by doing this I'm hoping to at least get my body back to normal and so hope that this is a good basis before we start trying again.

I'm really reluctant to go to my doc as I've read that because I'm under 30 and it could take up to a year for my periods to return it's highly unlikely that he'll take me seriously. I really don't like seeing him anyway as I find him quite rude and off-putting when I have gone in the past about genuine worries so that's why I'm trying to sort out the problem myself before needing his help.

Any thoughts? Xxx
Ditzydame
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby snail » Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Well, to be honest I'd be inclined to say, change doctors - it's not usually too difficult to do. The hardest part is finding a new surgery who will take you and if you live somewhere urban that hopefully wouldn't be too much of a problem. I really do know what you mean about male doctors being patronising to young female patients :roll: It does get better as you get older in my experience, but I doubt that's much consolation to you now.

I just think you should get a medical opinion on your lack of periods, as there's only so much you can do with self-diagnosis and advice on forums. Otherwise you may have to wait until next January to even start investigating. Also, what if you have worries about the pregnancy or the baby's health once born - it would be much easier if you went through all this with a doctor you had at least a reasonable relationship with.

Apart from that, you might find a good comprehensive book on conception and a healthy pregnancy would be useful - the public library service should have a good stock of these, I would think.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Physical