Textbox size and flickering

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Textbox size and flickering

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:07 pm

I tried searching on 'text box' and didn't find an answer to this, but apologies if it's been covered.

Does anyone notice when they're bashing out a particularly massive response to a post that the text box expands as expected to a certain point as more text is typed, but there comes a point at which it stops expanding. That's where the problem is, rather than keeping focus on the bottom line of the contents, with every keystroke the focus is returned to the top of the text box, so beyond a certain reply length you can no longer see what you're typing.

I don't often type replies of a length that produces the behaviour so it's never normally an issue, but today I was replying to a post and ended up having to type the reply up in WordPad and then paste it in.

I don't know what sort of configuration phpBB allows you, maybe it's a bug in the forum software or a compatibility issue with IE8.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Textbox size and flickering

Postby snail » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

:-?

I don't have that problem myself, ILC. I don't know what could be causing it. Perhaps someone else has the same problem and could shed some light?
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Yes, I get that, usually when I'm sending PMs. I have no idea what causes it, but it's irritating.

Anybody...? :)
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Yes i get that in pm's too.The answer is to type it in word and then paste it in a pm
I don't get it on public threads
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Jo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:16 pm

It's hard to pin down the cause of something like that, but it's probably to do with the box settings that are in the code. It's not something I can alter I'm afraid but it might get sorted out the next time phpBB is upgraded.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Is there a method for phpBB administrators to submit defect reports Jo?

Might be worth doing it if there is :)
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum Support