Christmas - Happy time or....

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Christmas - Happy time or....

Postby RagDoll » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I wondered whether people consider Christmas a happy time, or a tad depressing?

My train was delayed yesterday and I was feeling in a bit of a huff about it until it was announced that someone had 'been hit by a train' further down the line. When I mentioned this awful news to my hub, he said more people commit suicide at this time of year than any other?!?!

I really love Christmas, but I guess it does have a habit of amplifying things - if things are going well, Christmas is enjoyable, if things aren't, well, perhaps it is a bit of a miserable time of year.

So, what does everyone think? Do you love Christmas, or do you dread it?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Christmas - Happy time or....

Postby Sledge » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:51 pm

I once read a magazine article by a man who had been through what he described as a mid-life crisis. He split up from his marriage, grew a pony-tail, bought a sports car, got himself a girlfriend 25 years younger etc. You might say he completely lost his equilibrium. He described the crisis as like walking down a corridor where all the doors are open. In each room is somebody having more fun than you are. You end up convinced that everybody in the world is having more fun than you, and that your life sucks in comparison.

Doesn't that sound a little like Christmas? We are fed the notion that everybody is having a tremendous time. After all, it's the most wonderful time of the year! The implicit suggestion being that if you aren't having a wonderful time, then there is something wrong with you.

And everything about Christmas is designed to depress those who are alone. It takes two to give and receive presents. It takes two to pull a cracker. It takes two to kiss under the mistletoe.

I am very fortunate not to be alone, or suffer from Christmas depression, but I can certainly understand those who do. Personally I find new year to be a colossal anti-climax.

I've just re-read what I've written, and it sounds as though I AM depressed. I'm fine . . . really . . . . honest I am . . . (and I don't have a pony-tail)
Sledge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mattmxl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 am

The number of times I've considered throwing myself under a train at this time of year, might actually do it this time! I'm one of those poor unfortunates that will be alone at Christmas and will have to hear from other people in the New Year how wonderful their time was and what they got up to and all that s**t. If the world doesn't end tomorrow, which seems probable, there will be some genuine disappointment to me. Still, there have got to be better ways than throwing yourself under a train, that just disturbs other people and there's no need for that.

Can't stand Christmas and the way its rammed down your throat, but apparently thats my problem for being a humbug! Still, not to worry, it'll be over before we know it.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:48 pm

I agree it is all very overrated. I do have family but find so much of it about expecting to see poeple I don't want to spend my free time with.
New Year has been a let down since age 18. I think once it's great after that it's pretty much the same every year expcept the prices get higher.
I treat it like any other night and just try to make the best of it.

As for jumping under trains, PLEASE DON'T. My brother in law drives a train and it's his bigget fear. Some poor girl he knows just passed her exams and the first day she went out someone jumped in front of her train. She is completely screwed up now. Poor girl did nothing but try to get a decent career and now she's a mess.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby highlandcow » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:06 am

Bel Bel wrote:As for jumping under trains, PLEASE DON'T. My brother in law drives a train and it's his bigget fear. Some poor girl he knows just passed her exams and the first day she went out someone jumped in front of her train. She is completely screwed up now. Poor girl did nothing but try to get a decent career and now she's a mess.

That's awful Bel. :( There is a station I know up here that has the number for the Samaritans pinned up to the railings as it seems to be used for this purpose every couple of months. Horrible stuff.

I'm one of those irritating people who love Christmas. The build up, the music, the whole nine yards. I love Hogmanay as well! I can't wait.
Although...I could do without the annual horror show that is Buchanan Street in December. :o
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Chit Chat