Selling Pony

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Selling Pony

Post by Caramia » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:52 pm

I've had my horse for a few years now, and we have created an amazingly strong bond together. If you believe animals have a soul, then perhaps some of you can relate to believing you've found your soul mate within an animal.
Me and my horse are scarily similer. He knows how to cheer me up, and when we're out on a ride, I sometimes get overcome with love for him. People have said that they can see an amazingly strong bond between us and that we are an inseperable pair.
I knew that we'd have to sell him when we first got him because he's too expensive and because of doing my A Levels.

Well that time has come. And I don't know what to do. I know he's "only a horse" but it's like having my child taken from me. I can't imagine my life without him.

I need cheering up coz I have someone who is gonna see him on Sunday...

Thanks guys
xxxx

X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by X_Smiler_X » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:06 pm

Hey.
I know the feeling, especially when the animal you have is strongly bonded to you.
Just think of the good times you had with your pony, may sound silly, but it's the same when you lose a member of the family.
If your pony had a strong bond towards you too, he's going to miss you! Maybe you can still see him?

K xx
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.

Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Caramia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:24 pm

I didn't think that he could miss me... lol

I hope to be able to see him, but then again, I'd hate to see him create a bond with his new owner - kinda jealous I guess.

We've definatley got some amazing times to remember coz he was my 1st pony and he's taught me so much :)

xxx

Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by Fidel » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:05 pm

I know what u mean.
U'll always consider it as ur pony but go and visit it and strike a friendship with the owner so u can see ity again.

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.

Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Lorelei » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:57 pm

Aw, I sympathise!
My Mum gave away my first dog because she was too wild to live in the city but I ADORED her and it's always sad to say goodbye to a friend.
I think animals are sometimes the best friends, they never fight with you!
I hope you find a solution where you can still visit your pony.
Best wishes!xxx :grouphug:

cheese100
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by cheese100 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:46 am

Its real hard leaving a pet but at least he had a good time with you and probably feels the same inside.At least he will be given to a good home which is more than most get.Sorry about your horse.Cheese xx

Anom
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Anom » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:45 pm

I too have a pony. Shes great. Has a really kind nature and a very willing perosnality. She loves to please. I think our bond is strong too, she will do things for me that she refuses quite blankly for any one else.
Horses can be such little devils at times but she always seems to know when I am hurt or upset. She can sense my body language and mood and acts accordingly. I know how hard this must be for you, I had to give back a shetland pony i loved dearly and trained to ride and drive myself, he was a star. I am currently traning my pony now and hope to keep her for life.
Could you not consider a half or full loan?? This would give you time to study and will contribute towards costs of your pony.
Just hope it all works out for you. From one horse owner to another, good luck !

Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Caramia » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:38 pm

Aw, yay another horse owner!

I've tried to convince mum about loaning, but there's always the possiblility that we mite end up witha pony in our hands and no stable for him, so Mum's crossed that option out.

We're not getting much response at the moment. Coz of his height we attract the lil kiddies, but he's mega strong! Mad pony who needs a competitive home.

Maybe it's a sign? Second time round 2 sell and not much interest, or the wrong interest...

Nail Queen
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Nail Queen » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:30 pm

if you really have to sell your horse you could see if a local riding school would be interested in buying/taking him that way you could still see him whenever you want.
In the words of Don Mclean......
They were not listening, They're not listening still, Perhaps they never will!

Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Caramia » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:40 pm

Nah ah, not a riding school for my boy! He's not the right kinda pony. He's quite loopy and would end up running off with clients... :-? Plus coz of the range of levels of riders at riding schools, he would get ruined because he'd be jabbed around in the mouth, booted in the ribs etc by inexperienced riders (see it a lot)... no offence to riding schools coz without them I wouldn't be able to ride... but not for my boy.

Had someone interested in him today. Sounds hopeful... if hopeful's the word...

Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Caramia » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:01 pm

Well... update.

Dax has been lame since just before Christmas. Something to do with his stifle (a very small area in the leg).
He's not quite 10 years old... and has to be retired! Can only do trekking now and is going to a lovely yard in Devon in the next few weeks.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Gonna miss him like crazy. I'll be able to visit, though. And I [-o< to get him back, one day.

worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by worstfriend » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:29 am

Another horselover here!!

It's great you found a good yard for your Dax to go to, so many horses, especially those who are lamed or unfit for competitive work, end up at dealers yards. If he is only 10 and is good for trekking he could end up being loved there for another 10 years! That's wonderful for a horse who, if someone who cared less had owned him, could have ended up anywhere.

I think he will miss you. I looked after someone else's horse for 2 years and when i went to uni i had to stop. I went back 4 years later and whinneyed to him over the fence (i used to call him down from the field by imitating his call for me when i had food!!) and he came racing and neighing down to me, after FOUR years. He definitely knew me, and his owner commented that she hadn't seen him like that beofre!

Horses don't get to choose who owns or rides them, and so though it is possible, it is unlikely he will develop a bond like you had with anyone else.

Make friends with the yard owners and that way you can phone or write and get regular updates on how he's getting on, and , as you said, during the holidays you can go and ride him again.

What was wrong with his stifle? Is it loose? I once knew a horse who's stifle was very unstable, she used to dislocate her kneecap all the time, her owners had medicaid medallions put on all her tack and rugs and her headcollar so people wouldn't think she'd broken her leg! She could even hunt, if you were prepared that it might happen. SHe does quite well in Handy Horse comps, though she'll never be a serious show horse, she has alot of fun...

Be proud that you found your horse a lovely home and concentrate on your studies. WHo knows, in 5 years you might be able to get him back...

WF

Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Caramia » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:01 pm

Aww... that was lovely... the horse you looked after calling back to you after such a long time... bless!

He always calls to me when I call out his name at the same pitch of his whinney... lol

Don't really know what is wrong with his stifle. He had nerve blocks in his hock and stifle, that didn't work. Then he went to Newmarket for bon scans, and there was nothing significant anywhere, just a slight increase in bone rotation in one hock, but not enough to make any difference.
He also had a small cortazone injection into his stifle. That worked for two weeks, then he went back to being lame. The thing is with his lameness, it wasn't like he was hopping lame, he just wasn't tracking up as well in his one hind leg and he was uncomfortable. He still wouldn't pass the vetting though.
On Monday, our vet came down and said that we could either go through with a small operation and insert a camera into his leg to see if there is any ligament damage which can be repaired there and then. But because it's the stifle, the chances that they'll find something and repair it are much smaller than if it was in a larger area, say the hock.
So we chose not to put him through that and decided to retire him. It's a pity that he's so young and this has had to happen, and he's wasted because he's SOOOO fabulous at Dressage and showing... but fingers crossed he can do in-hand stuff.

It's a lovely yard - trekking with lots of horsees during the trekking season, and over the winter he'd go to a private home until just before Easter when he'd go back to the trekking yard. I bet he'd have a lovely time there, though.

I'm hanging onto hoping to own him when I'm rich and old... lol, even though he'd be way too small and too old to do much with me... it's just nice to have my best friend back... :oops: hehe

Thanks for the reply WF 'preciate it :) XxX

worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by worstfriend » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:37 am

Don't totally lose heart - it sounds like he's going to a great place, and who knows - you might be one of the private homes he goes to one winter!

I know what you mean about getting an old friend back - i have dreams of getting Bega, the horse i was telling you about, back but it's unlikely to happen now - he's already 19 and he's a stallion so it'd be a nightmare getting him on livery anywhere and expensive as he'd need his own grazing (he doesn't like geldings..). He's very happy with the girl who looks after him now, she loves him and though she doesn't see him the way i did i know he's looked after proerly.

Was nice talking horsey with someone on here, i thought i was the only horse-junkie here!!

How big is Dax? Bega is only 14.2hh, and very lightweight so i am already too big and heavy for him....I'm gonna get myself a Norwegian Fjord or a nice HW Irish gypsy horse.....

Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Post by Caramia » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:11 pm

Dax is a lil Welshy - 13.3hh! He was a tad too small for me when I bought him, but I'm short and fairly light, plus he's a Welshy so he can carry most people.

What breed is Bega? I absolutely love Arabs, but as a breed, I don't really get on with them - major personality clash with them! But I shared Welshys for a few years and ended up buying one. I find they're really cheeky, but bags of fun! Me and Dax have very similer personalities - both totally mad, same hair colour, short, loopy, love food and running... lol. Apparantly I've got the same eyes as him... still trying to work out whether or not that's a good thing :-? :o :-?

Deffo nice to see another horsee person on here... lol