really struggling! don't know what to do...

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

really struggling! don't know what to do...

Postby essyiii » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:11 pm

this year i have started doing my as levels - i took french, german, maths and further maths! aghhhh! we're only half a term in and i am already doubting my ability. in my gcses i got an a in both french and german and an a* in maths. The a levels however are proving to be really hard! I no longer have a passion to pursue languages as i used to and automatically i thought to pursue a career in maths. i don't know what.... for the university that i would really really like to study at you need AAA-ABB and i don't think i'm necessarily going to be able to achieve that :( i've started worrying and wondering if i really do want to go into maths or not...? i then thought of doing a degree in midwifery. the university requires BCC but doesn't specify which a levels these must be in... do you think they would accept what i have got? any advice on anything i have mentioned would be grately appreciated. xx
Steph x
essyiii
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: really struggling! don't know what to do...

Postby Angel_Fairy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Hey!
Don't be disheartened at all. It takes a while to settle in to the courses. Ask your teachers for help, that's why they're there. I took Sports Science- got As at GCSEs and then struggled at Alevels- I didn't seek help and i regret it.
If you have friends in your class, ask them how they are getting on.
If your heart is set on working using languages stick to that. This will be your career for the next few years and you need to be happy with what you are doing.

Good luck with it all, and always remember to ask for help. Your teachers will be happy you've asked and excelled, than to see you struggle.
Angel_Fairy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: really struggling! don't know what to do...

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 am

I also did maths and further maths, I'm afraid I can't help with the languages, I stopped both french and german at GCSE.

I struggled with further maths; there was 2 of us in the class and we had to do it before and after school. We both ended up with an AS in further maths as the teacher had a breakdown and left. Our problems with further maths were the "pure" modules; We did pure 1 in Maths first year, and Pure 2 and 3 were to be done second year, for further maths it was pure 4, 5 and 6 (schools choose different modules) so first year of further maths we did Pure 6, as the teacher said we needed to do 2 and 3 before we could do 4 and 5 - confusing or what!

If you wanted to you might be able to change subjects now, either that or you do AS in all of your subjects and next year take on subjects to get you onto your midwife course?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to School, College & University