Social anxiety?

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Social anxiety?

Postby Rarity » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 pm

I seem to suffer really badly with social anxiety... I hate talking to people I don't know, and if I have to then I get nervous and can't hold eye contact. I stutter, mess up my words, sometimes I get a nervous twitch. I'm very conscious about what I'm doing, for example, walking up the street and I scratch my nose, I feel like everyone is watching me... Or if someone is walking behind me I feel like I'm walking funny and try to correct it, which makes me feel like I'm walker even weirder!! Going into a shop is a nightmare, and picking my daughter up from school is awful, as I tuck myself away in the corner and try not to make eye contact with the other parents. Sometimes I smoke a bit of weed, which relaxes me when I'm at home, but as soon as i step outside I'm very conscious that people are looking at me... My friend says I have social anxiety and I should go to the doctor for medication... Is she right? I always put it down to me being shy and unsociable, but now I think she may be right.
Rarity
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Social anxiety?

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:16 pm

I think you would really benefit from cognitive therapy as it gives you the tools to help yourself

People are more interested in themselves than you. People really don't think about random people scratching their nose in the street even if they see it, they are far too busy thinking of what to have for dinner etc
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby reckoner » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Also, common symptoms of smoking weed are feelings of paranoia and anxiety. Some people feel the symptoms when they smoke, others when they aren't. It also tends to increase the time one spends thinking, which I imagine is contributing to the fantasies you're having. Do you notice a difference when you're not smoking?
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby smb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi, I suffer a little from social anxiety to. Which I am trying to control.

But I agree with the other poster in that weed will not help and could actually be making you worse, not sure how much you really smoke but I don't think it matters to be honest. Weed can bring on all the feelings that you have mentioned. I would stop this and then see how you feel. :)
smb
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Mental wellbeing