Coping with Dementia

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Coping with Dementia

Postby Sherlock1998 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 pm

My nanny was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, but its only recently that ive found it hard to cope with. I usually would tell my mum everything but its a sensitive subject for the whole family and i want to stay strong for them. I just need some advice from others affected by dementia on how to cope. Im very close to my nanny and witnessing her change from a strong independent person to having the mind of a child is truely heartbreaking and its very hard to deal with. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and your advice would be really appreciated.
Sherlock1998
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Coping with Dementia

Postby retrochav » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Hello, welcome to problem pages. I am just one of the many users of the forum, but I can say from experience its a great community of support and care.

There are dedicated dementia support and carer support groups and helplines that can give practical support and advice, and a quick search of the Internet can put you in contact with them.

I was brought up with my grandparents, and like you am very close to my nan. She has just reached 91, and is beginning to suffer with dementia. She cannot recall family members, talks of wanting to visit family who are long since dead, and has no short term memory.

Like you, I quietly grieve the nan I am loosing. The nan who would go to the park with me as a child, bars with me in my teens, coffee shops in my 20s, and holidays with me until a few years ago. What I do every Saturday when me and the kids visit is get the old photos out. Nan can recall stories from 20+ years back, and I am getting a picture of her as a young girl. I bring books of the area years ago, and she can recognise places from the 1950s and talk about it. I sometimes buy old magazines from eBay from the 1960s as nan can recall the film and tv stars.

Often though she just can't manage talking at all, and looks blankly at me. These are the times when I just hold her hand or sit near her crying on the inside. It isn't easy, it's really not, but now is not the time to be strong and silent. Please talk to your family and let them support you as you support them.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Mental wellbeing