i think i have ADD

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
gamergirl
Just Landed
Just Landed

i think i have ADD

Post by gamergirl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:00 pm

i am not sure what to do i really suffer with getting distracted i am not very organised i would lose my head if it was not attached to my body i am really disorganised and unsure what to do when i speak to my mum about it she just tells me to try harder but i try my best to deal with my issues but mum refuses to help me get a diagnosis for why i am like this i suffer from other symptoms like theses as well and i am not sure what to do i am going in to year 11 and i need to study and get my head in the game if you like to try and get the best grades i can in my exams but i struggle to concentrate on things that i need to do but i don't know where or how to start and mum is no help i am a girl and many girls that are my age don't get diagnosed until they are adult or girls tend to not get diagnosed at a young age but i am really struggling and unsure for what i should do to get on track and help me get a diagnosis of why i am like this.

boulding
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: i think i have ADD

Post by boulding » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi gamergirl

I'm so sorry to hear you have these problems. At your age you should be enjoying life. (I'm guessing you are about 15). However I think your mum is probably right and these problems should not be medicalised. Your brain is physiologically not fully developed yet and it would be a mistake to be labelled and medicated and for this to be recorded in your medical notes. I expect you are like a lot of teenagers in that you lack a bit of confidence and struggle to cope in an increasingly sophisticated adult world.

You need strategies not pills. Buy yourself a bedroom wallchart that you can write out your school time table, holidays, activities and deadlines for schoolwork. Also get a big page per day diary and the first thing you do when you get up (or after you've had a coffee) is to check your chart and write down what you have to do that day. The very fact of writing things down will impress it on your memory. If you have a big job like an assignment break it down into small steps and spread it over several days. You will get a real sense of calm and achievement when you tick things off.

I don't need to tell you that the big distractors of the modern age are smartphones, tvs and music so if you need to concentrate turn everything off. You don't need to be accessible to all the world all the time.

I don't know if you are a typically untidy teenager but if you are start by getting decluttering and tidying. Organised surroundings will lead to a more organised life.

If you still think you need support ask a teacher at school about counselling services.

Wishing all the best