How do I know what kind of mental health professional to find

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
Dramatique
Just Landed
Just Landed

How do I know what kind of mental health professional to find

Post by Dramatique » Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm

I really want to find someone I can work through a lot of issues with. The problem is, I've been to a lot of dark places in my life, I've seen a few counsellors but I find that having worked closely with healthcare professionals myself I could tell what tactics were being used and naturally tried to avoid them, so I feel like I need someone more qualified.

There are other huge concerns I have, firstly I can't go through my GP, I still work closely with (but not in) the NHS and I just can't risk people I need to communicate with professionally having this kind of link, so I'm thinking private is the way to go.

On top of that, I've had some dark thoughts and done some bad things in my life - I don't perceive myself as a danger to anyone, but I know I've toed the line of legality in the past and I've certainly crossed the line of morality, I want to be able to talk through these situations, I want to try to rationalize them, but I feel unable to do so, my fear is that thing where counsellors retain the right to report to the police if they consider you a danger to yourself or others, I mean on what criteria do they make that assessment? If they suspect I would allow a situation to develop around me that would break the law I'd be potentially causing harm, but that's surely different to me having the intent to cause harm? And then there's the judgement and opinions of the professional themselves, whether they have experience with sexual debauchery, or what...

And then, finally, there's my number one fear with seeking help - that Im actually just being overdramatic... Most of the time I'm fine, then I get drunk, or I have a bad week, or something stupid sets me off and before you know it I'm thinking again, thinking about what I've done in my life, trying to work out what the hell is wrong with me, inevitably I think of suicide but to be honest at this point it's more of a coping mechanism to imagine I always have an 'out' rather than a serious consideration. I just wonder whether I'm actually worth helping at all, or whether I'm just making a big deal out of the odd bad day because I've led a colourful life that gives me a lot of room to spiral.

I don't know what to look for (psychologist, psychiatrist) how to find them (I've looked on websites but mainly find counsellors) or what knowledge they need (mental/sexual health, experience with extreme deviants, experience with suicidal, experience with trauma, experience with addiction, experience with idiots, expertise beyond counselling) and what level of confidentiality I can expect - I mean really, for me to feel able to talk about everything and work through what I want, I need to feel totally secure in talking about anything and everything, but I really don't trust leaving this sort of thing to perception...